PDA

View Full Version : Banded Demoiselle

Jonathan Michael Ashton
03-29-2008, 07:47 AM
This is one of the most beautiful damselflies in the UK, I hope you like it.
Canon 100mm macro lens
1/100sec @ f8
Camera mounted on a monopod
I often take shots using a stofen omnibounce but due to the highly reflective reeeds I decided to go for natural light. I would appreciate any comments please

Robert O'Toole
03-29-2008, 08:19 AM
Nice lighting, great colors and good sharpness. You are right, that is a gorgeous damsel.

I prefer a parallel view or better yet a couple of deg from front view rather this slightly from behind view as above. It is most noticiable when you look at the head. Also I usually like the normal rectangle crop with d-flies.

Robert

Jonathan Michael Ashton
03-29-2008, 09:03 AM
Thanks Robert I appreciate your comments. I do have a few shots of this particular insect, some of which are more landscape than box shaped, and I agree they do usually look better in landscape. I chose the box like shape because on this shot the damselfly wasn't parallel to the reed. I agree with your point regards angle but I couldn't do much about it as I was up to the top of my wellies and the mono pod was beginning to sink in the mud!
Cheers
Jon

Robert O'Toole
03-29-2008, 10:29 AM
I know how that feels Jon, we cant always get the exact angle or view that we want, but I think that is the challenging thing that motivates us to keep trying.

Beautiful image nonetheless.

Robert

Jonathan Michael Ashton
03-29-2008, 11:35 AM
That's it - exactly, Robert it is that perpetual search for a shot that is better than the previous that keeps me going. If we got great shots all the time and almost first time I think we would soon get a bit bored and start thinking about other pursuits.
It is a strange thing but if I come home one day without a decent image I don't get in the least bit despondent it just gives me more impetus to strive to succeed.
Jon

John Cooper
03-29-2008, 11:36 PM
Hi Jon - one of my most favouriye subjects!! Wish we got this one down-under!!
Love that wing pattern and the iridescent blue and green tones of this damsel. Can't fault the subject - Robert has made some relevant comments re composition.
Lovely image Jon!!!

Mike Moats
03-30-2008, 08:28 AM
Hey Jonathan, I like it alot. Great details and light, and would agree about liking rectangle crops better.

Anita Rakestraw
03-31-2008, 02:57 AM
This is one of the best photos of a damselfly I have seen, I believe - great colors, beautiful clarity, super sharpness, perfect DOF! I even like the perspective!

Jonathan Michael Ashton
03-31-2008, 03:02 AM
Thanks very much everyone for your kind comments, hey maybe there's hope for the old guy after all!
Jon

Bob Reimer
04-01-2008, 09:33 AM
Unfortunately we don't have any like that here in UAE ... I love photographing Odonata and what makes this image special for me is I think you've nailed focus on all the important characters. I'd love to see this in full resolution. The terminal appendages are clear and I think I can even make out the secondary genitalia. While one might wish that the damsel had turned his head towards you so you could see the frons better, you can't always get everything. The background's nice. It's a bit funky how there is something light in the background that echoes the shape of the wing. The square crop works for me with the placement of the damsel and the diagonals in the image. I'd be really happy if I got one like this! You'll have to get chest waders so you don't have to give up on them ;)