PDA

View Full Version : I Can Fly

Cheryl Arena Molennor
07-14-2011, 06:55 PM
Caught this fledgling skimmer the other day while shooting with friends. He was the biggest of the bunch yet seen. I was pretty excited to get this one in flight especially the way he almost seems to be looking at me. Removed a partial wingtip from the adult flying with him.
Canon 1DMIII
300 mm 2.8L lens
ISO 400 7.1 @1/2500 HH
C&C always welcome

Mike Milicia
07-14-2011, 07:05 PM
Great wing position, unusual perspective, and agree about the perfect eye contact!
Techs look great as well ... very nicely done!

Michael Bertelsen
07-14-2011, 07:11 PM
Very nice Cheryl,
Fantastic angle, great in every way.

Michael Bertelsen

Ofer Levy
07-14-2011, 07:36 PM
Excellent!! If anything maybe a bit tight in the frame as presented especially right and bottom.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
07-14-2011, 07:44 PM
Excellent!! If anything maybe a bit tight in the frame as presented especially right and bottom.
Thanks Ofer and i somewhat agree about it being tight but i caught it so centered that I cut closer to the right to leave the flying space and cut the bottom cause I liked the moving wave up top. I need to learn to pan without centering the subject. I am curious do you pan flyers using a focus dot selected more to the right rather than center dot to allow that flying space? thanks

Jim Crosswell
07-14-2011, 07:46 PM
Great flight image Cheryl. I like the sharpness, details and eye contact.

arash_hazeghi
07-14-2011, 07:47 PM
great wing position and nice details, good exposure on whites and blacks too just wish a bit separation between subject and BG. it's a cute bird!

Marina Scarr
07-14-2011, 07:51 PM
You did a great job getting this fledgling in flight, Cheryl, and I love the way he is looking right at you at a nice angle with his wings outstretched. I just love the colors of these young BLSK in flight.

I do feel the wave in the BG is somewhat distracting. I would remove the highlight at the end of the bird's right wing. I tried cropping the wave out and, although it's tight, I like it.

You ought to be proud of this one!

Karl Egressy
07-14-2011, 07:57 PM
Great forward wing position and excellent eye contact. A beauty flight shot.

Brendan Dozier
07-14-2011, 08:55 PM
Very nice, Cheryl. Like the unusual, low angle perspective, gliding so low across the water really adds interest. Great eye contact, nice exposure and details. Agree maybe just a tad tight on rt, but very nicely done!

Cheryl Arena Molennor
07-14-2011, 09:11 PM
Ok I went back and left more on the bottom and cut off the wave on top. Took away the highlite by the wing. Better? I'm not sure I want to give up the wave movement. :w3 I need to look em over some although I do like the attention it leaves on the bird now.Thanks all for the suggestions.

David Pugsley
07-14-2011, 09:47 PM
Hi Cheryl! I personally prefer the re-post without the wave.
BTW, when did you pick-up the MKIII? Feel free to email or PM me if you ever want to get together for some shooting!

Troy Lim
07-14-2011, 10:44 PM
Repost is a killer shot!

Sidharth Kodikal
07-14-2011, 11:43 PM
Very well done. Repost is the clear winner imo. Nice pose, sharpness and exposure.

Stu Bowie
07-15-2011, 12:21 AM
Cheryl, good flying posture, especially with the forward wing position. Good detail throughout, sharp, and I like the clarity of the water. Well captured.

gail bisson
07-15-2011, 04:51 AM
Repost is the winner! I really like the "from above "perspective. Nice and sharp.
I too would like to know if our expert flight photogs use the center or off center AF point for flight shots! I have recently switched to AF off center .
Gail

Chris Martinez
07-15-2011, 04:55 AM
This really has a three dimensional quality about it.
I prefer the repost. I feel the wave was cramping the the skimmer's style so to speak.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
07-15-2011, 06:41 AM
Looks like my wave is losing it's popularity. Darn. Funny how people like different things as I posted on another sight and got alot of positive about the action of the wave. I like how it adds to the story of the flight but i do like it without it as well. A whole new feel. Thanks for the great words.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
07-15-2011, 06:43 AM
Hi Cheryl! I personally prefer the re-post without the wave.
BTW, when did you pick-up the MKIII? Feel free to email or PM me if you ever want to get together for some shooting!
Hey David,
Got the mIII about 5 mths ago and absolutely love it. I'd love to shoot sometime. I'll send an email.:bg3:

Daniel Cadieux
07-15-2011, 07:20 AM
Yep, losing the wave was not a big deal...the reason being is that the shallow water and shadow at bottom is just as interesting, if not more! As for panning...for me I just use center point and focus on the eye then crop for comp in post as I don't want to start fiddling with which point to use for each bird flying in front of me (plus you risk clipping a tail by using a right point). Sometimes you get "unlucky" with a close subject that limits your cropping choices, but that part of the compromises of bird photography!:S3:

Ofer Levy
07-15-2011, 07:35 AM
Hi Cheryl,
Thought its a pity to get rid of the wave so created some canvas - I see no ethical issue with this...:w3 WDYT?

Ofer Levy
07-15-2011, 07:38 AM
As to your question when I take flight shots I use the centre point/s only. I am sure more talented BIF photographers can do it in a more sophisticated way...:e3

Cheryl Arena Molennor
07-15-2011, 05:25 PM
Thanks Daniel and great PS work Ofer. I like it alot, Thank you . Im gonna go back once more and give it a shot cause I do still like my wave although I like it just as well without it. As I said it gives it a whole new feel..:S3:
I will stick with my center dot too . It's just less complicated.

Kaustubh Deshpande
07-15-2011, 06:03 PM
Cheryl, very unique shot. loved the top-side view and the details. terrific eye contact of course.

christopher galeski
07-16-2011, 04:10 AM
very nice cheryl,like the repost,thanks.

Nico Steenberg
07-16-2011, 08:35 AM
Nice angle and in flight pose. Sharp with good exposure :S3: