PDA

View Full Version : Kaikoura, New Zealand Waterfront

Jay Gould
07-14-2011, 10:10 AM
An amazing 18 day workshop was drawing to a close; Kaikoura was our final photography destination. Waiting on waterfront and watching the setting sun create some heavenly magic, I shot several images as I moved around and worked on various compositions. I am finding Landscape photography a wonderful challenge. I will be posting two images from this location; this image and the next one that I will post for your comparison opinions.

Camera: 5D2
Capture date/time: 8 May 11; 3:12PM
Light condition: late afternoon sun
Lens: 16-35 f/2.8
Focal length:34mm
Distance:
Extender: none
Tube: none
Flash/Comp:
ISO: 100
Exp Prog: Av
Speed: 0.6
Aperture: f/18
Exp Comp: none
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: One-shot AF
Tripod: yes
Filter: SR GNDs
Crop: minimal from bottom
Images Changes: stuff I didn't like removed!

Processed in LR3 and CS5, Nik and Pixel Genius Software.

All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!

Roman Kurywczak
07-14-2011, 10:36 AM
Hey Jay,
Might be my favorite of yours!!! I really like the dark and moody feel to this! I might be tempted to lighten the waves from about 3:30 to 6 o'clock on a diagonal.....and then the boat just a few points. Many directions you can go with this....but I find your dark interpretation very appealing and the splashing waves work great! Very nicely done!:cheers:

Jay Gould
07-14-2011, 06:07 PM
Hi Mate, as requested.

There has been a suggestion by a poster on NS that a removal of the boat might be preferred. While normally I do not like man made objects in my landscapes, here the boat was/could be part of the story on this windy night. What do you think?

stuart wanuck
07-14-2011, 06:09 PM
nice image leave the boat

Roman Kurywczak
07-14-2011, 06:16 PM
Hey Jay,
Repost works for me....and I think the boat adds a big part to the story/feel......I'd leave it!

dankearl
07-14-2011, 06:54 PM
Dramatic shot, the waves are great, leave the boat.

Rachel Hollander
07-14-2011, 07:33 PM
Jay - this is one of my favorites too and leave the boat. I even think I know where this was taken. We went swimming with fur seals not far from there. Did you do any whale watching in Kaikoura? Amazing place where the snow capped mountains come down to the sea. Very dramatic image.

TFS,
Rachel

Hilary Hann
07-14-2011, 11:22 PM
I like the way the waves swirl around the rocks and the beautiful colours in the clouds. I think the boat adds because it shows something happening in the scene. (this is my first critique :e3) Steph (Hilary's 13yo daughter)

Jay Gould
07-14-2011, 11:29 PM
I like the way the waves swirl around the rocks and the beautiful colours in the clouds. I think the boat adds because it shows something happening in the scene. (this is my first critique :e3) Steph (Hilary's 13yo daughter)

Hey Steph, it is a pleasure to be the subject of your first critique! :cheers:
You have big shoes to fill; your mother definitely knows how to use a camera!!

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and share your thoughts. There is a new 15yr old member; looking forward to your membership before you turn 15.

Regards, Jay

Dave Mills
07-15-2011, 11:05 AM
Greetings Jay, Just back from 3 great weeks in France. Ten days in the Dordogne region which is a magical area of castles,chateaus and quaint farms. If I was to buy a house in France that would be the area. Great wine, scenery,food and most important meeting warm and friendly folks.
Lets get down to business. You posted a strong and compelling image. The boat adds a nice element to the story and would not consider removing it. The comp is divided well with good tweaks in the repost.
Good timing on the waves adding the action along with the small waves in the middle ground.
The sky is the color element which tops off the image. Finally, good job technically. Well done! :cheers:

Bob Decker
07-15-2011, 07:45 PM
A very pleasant and dramatic image. I'd definately use the boat and if it were mine would be tempted to brighten it even a bit more. Wish we had rocks like that along my local seashore. Lovely location perfectly photographed.

John Ippolito
07-25-2011, 09:49 PM
Dynamic, dramatic, moody. The inclusion the boat imparts a sense of vulnerability at the hand of the sea. Beautiful work, Jay!

Jay Gould
07-25-2011, 11:11 PM
Thanks John. Having been a sailor, I felt and wanted to impart the vulnerability.