PDA

View Full Version : Impala

Hilary Hann
07-14-2011, 02:52 AM
A few here may know of my interest in antelopes, but I know that they don't always get the same volume of comments as the predators and iconic species like rhinos and elephants.
I'm always on the look out for nice photos of antelopes, although it can be hard … for me at least. I liked this image because of the light glancing off the seed heads of the grass and the vertical and horizontal lines made by the grasses and shadows. Unlike my recent wildebeest (which I liked for similar reasons of horizontal lines and light), this animal has looked up and has a more interesting pose and his bird friend is a little more 'in the moment'. Taken late evening in golden light.
7D; 100-400 @ 400mm; ISO800; 1/640; f5.6

Rachel Hollander
07-14-2011, 07:47 AM
Hilary - nice golden light. I like the comp and that the musculature of the impala shows well. Also, often difficult to isolate one impala for an image. Well done for that too.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
07-15-2011, 01:49 AM
Hi Hilary, I am afraid I am struggling on this one sadly. I feel the comp needs to move down so you have more space at the foot of the image, but I guess you have chosen the format to echo the posture of the Impala? Overall, I think you have posted better, sorry Hilary.

TFS
Steve

Hilary Hann
07-15-2011, 02:29 AM
It's ok Steve, you don't have to like it as it suits me and I like it although it has turned out a bit more contrasty on posting than on my screen. I was just reading an interesting interview with Les Walkling, considered by many as one of Australian photography's national treasures where he discusses some of his philosophies.
"…This renders the act of photography subservient to the idea of photography. My photography deals with what it means to be interested in the things that interest me." - How true, and because it is true, I have to stop being concerned about what others like all the time and how it effects me. Also an article by the amazing landscape photographer who still produces his work in the traditional way of film and darkroom printing, Richard White, who said
"In this business or hobby of photography, we strive to be different. Not the same as everyone else. We want our own niche. We want our own selective eye, yet we seem to embrace the pack mentality. Why?"
I don't have any answers, yet the images I post which please other members here the most are the ones I like least, usually because they fit an accepted norm of form, structure and processing but show nothing of what I felt. Eventually I will be able to process and reproduce the wildlife in a way which truly reflects what I feel and see and there will be other people out there who see it as I do even if they don't post on forums. But I have to keep refining what it is that I want and if doing that, it means that I have to accept that the images will not "do it for others" then I have to learn to live with that and persevere.
So horses for courses and no hard feelings. :S3:

This isn't to say that I don't value the c&c I receive because I do. It is just as important to refine technique as it is to refine any other aspect of photography and technique is something which I've found many people here have in spades and are kind enough to share with others.

Steve Kaluski
07-15-2011, 07:14 AM
Hi Hilary appreciate your honesty & feeling and anyone can tell reading the reply it comes from the heart and I think as I have said before, it is rather refreshing.

I am not sure where you draw the line between hobby & business, as there are some cracking images that pepper this site from both sides of the camp. How we see, interpret, make assumptions is all very personal and that is a great asset in a Forum because of the diversity of members, young & old, newbies & peers.

I hope that it is not long before you find your 'process' which reflects your style & thoughts as I am sure it will be very interesting.

Good luck. :cheers:

Steve

Hilary Hann
07-15-2011, 07:50 AM
Steve, I hope I sort my mind out sooner rather than later before I drive everyone crazy, myself included! :eek:

BTW I draw no distinction between hobbyists and professionals, not my style. :w3

Steve Canuel
07-15-2011, 12:45 PM
Hi Hilary,
Too bad we can't discover some carnivorous ungulates huh :bg3:? I like the illuminated grass stalks in this one too and have taken many shots of local pronghorn trying to capture the same thing. As you noted, it does seem a little contrasty but I like the feel, the pose, and the position of the animal in the frame.