PDA

View Full Version : Is this a female Hooded Oriole?

Bill Holsten
07-14-2011, 01:28 AM
This bird visited my suet feeder last evening at about 6PM, while i happened to have my camera handy. It was a first sighting for me, although I have glimpsed a yellow and black bird in my yard, from time to time, which could be her husband. Based on the several books I have looked at and the resemblance of the glimpsed yellow and black bird to a male Hooded Oriole, I am guessing this is a female Hooded Oriole. Do I have any support for that opinion? Other ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help provided,
Bill

Rancho Santa Fe, CA (6 miles from the Pacific in northern San Diego county)

EOS 1D MKIV 300mm L IS + 2.0X 1/800" f/8 ISO 640 tripod no flash

Paul Guris
07-18-2011, 03:37 PM
The overall coloration, fairly curved bill, and location all seem right to me for Hooded. Here's a link that has some good ID photos:

http://www.birdfellow.com/birds/hooded-oriole-icterus-cucullatus

Orchard Oriole is the trickiest similar species in many areas, but I think that's completely out of range for you.

Dave Irons
08-09-2011, 02:17 AM
I agree with Paul on this bird. Curvature to the bill and where you found it both point to Hooded. When I went to look at our images of female Orchards I realized that our gallery shows no females. A content editor's work is never done. Anyone out there have some spare female Orchard Oriole shots collecting dust on their hard drive?

Dave Irons
Content Editor BirdFellow.com