PDA

View Full Version : Mayakka River State Park Osprey

Jack Howdeshell
03-29-2008, 05:58 AM
A friend who we watched for some time last fall while kayaking on the river in Myakka River State Park. Image was captured handheld while my navigator (who closely resembles my wonderful wife) maintained the course.

Canon XTi
100-400 L IS f/4.5-5.6
1/640
f/9.0
ISO 200
Focal Length 400mm
AI Servo AF

Your input is very much appreciated, thank you.

(*Note - Sorry about the spelling in the title -should read "Myakka")

Harold Davis
03-29-2008, 07:30 AM
hi jack!! fantastic shot, great compo and good exposure. you could have opened up wide open and increased your shutter speed and gotten a sharper pic. this looks great though. would maybe sharpen the face and eye area and maybe lighten the underside just a tad. would definitely try to lighten the fish. congrats on the shot!!

Alfred Forns
03-29-2008, 08:05 AM
Great point from Harold Go wide open and get you shutter speed Its one of the keys to good flight photography Most of the images I make are wide open unless the bird is very close and dof is needed The slight blur on the tip of the wings is from motion

Did not mention the compensation (very important) Looks like it was just a bit under Remember you are shooting the shaded side of the bird and need to open up In mid day when the light is harsh does cause problems You get the underside looking good and the head is toast Not much you can do but look for softer light

I love the layout position and sharpness Got a keeper !!! Big Congrats !!!

Oscar Zangroniz
03-29-2008, 06:10 PM
Great composition Jack and contrast. Agree with Harold as far as needing a tad of sharpness !
Great overall shot for being hand held.
Congrats.

Arthur Morris
03-30-2008, 02:01 PM
All excellent suggestions above to which I might add that doing some work on the eye would increase the appearance of overall sharpness. See same in Digital Basics/Eye Doctor.

later and love, artie

Gus Cobos
03-30-2008, 09:03 PM
Conrats Jack,
Love your image, great composition, colors and detail on your subject. Love that flight banking...:D

Jack Howdeshell
03-31-2008, 04:07 AM
Thank you all for your CC. I had the quality cranked down when I converted for the web, so the sharpness should be slightly better. I wasn't using RAW last fall, and most of the camera settings were pretty much auto. Recently I have ventured out a little more to control the situation.

I learn with every post, thanks again.