PDA

View Full Version : On the edge

Craig Kerr
07-13-2011, 10:52 AM
I was at the vulture hide at Giants Castle, in the Drakensberg mountains, when this Baboon appeared out of the blue. The small specks are rain drops. Like the look in the Baboon's face and the open space that high lights the feeling of height.
Canon 7D
Lens 500mm f4.
SS 1/1250
ISO 800
f 6.3

All crits and comments welcome

Dumay de Boulle
07-13-2011, 03:00 PM
I always liked this image. like the pose and the BG. I would only change the crop. I would take off a touch at the top and add it to the bottom (for my taste)

Morkel Erasmus
07-13-2011, 03:20 PM
Welcome here Craig, good to see you posting and looking forward to lots more...

I love the BG here, the separation from the distant mountains at Giant's Castle really produces stunning backgrounds. Nice pose by the fella, looks like he is dangerously close to the abyss! :bg3: Colours look good, I might have liked to see more space below and less on top as he is looking down?

EDIT: I was not refreshed and didn't see Dumay pointed out the same issue on space :)

Brendon Cremer
07-13-2011, 04:49 PM
Lovely colours and nice BG, makes for a great scene and lovely image:S3:

Michael Bertelsen
07-13-2011, 07:37 PM
Yes, I too like the background very much.
Not a typical color to see.

Congradulations Graig,

Michael Bertelsen

Bob Miller
07-13-2011, 07:38 PM
craig...handled well! Bg is nice and clean and composition is good. I agree that you might take a bit off the top

Craig Kerr
07-13-2011, 11:47 PM
Dumay, Morkel, Brendon, Michael and Bob thanks for your comments.
I like your crop suggestion Dumay and Morkel, with the Baboon looking down it all makes sense.

Hilary Hann
07-14-2011, 01:01 AM
Great image … gives me vertigo. Love the look and pose of the baboon and that beautiful background. Good detail in the rocks.

Only think I'd say on the crop is that if by adding more at the bottom of the frame you include more rocks, you might lose that 'on the edge' look and feel, which would be a shame. Not knowing the area, I don't know what the cliff edge looks like.

Steve Kaluski
07-14-2011, 02:39 AM
Hi Craig, a nice opening image.

I like the isolation and almost minimal content of the image. Agree above about moving the whole crop down, but would also suggest in Levels moving both the left & right sliders in, perhaps 8 left, 230 right (figures/amount to taste) just to give it some punch perhaps. Could apply overall, or just to the baboon & rocks.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
07-14-2011, 08:02 AM
Craig - great concept, handled well. Bg and pose on edge really make this image. Some good suggestions above.

TFS,
Rachel

Craig Kerr
07-14-2011, 11:41 PM
Hilary, Steve anad Rachel thanks for your comments.
Will give the levels a bash, thanks Steve
The baboon is on a edge, so providing more space below is possible, will rework image over weekend and repost.

Steve Canuel
07-15-2011, 12:52 PM
Like the comp here and the stacked rocks of the cliff. A unique and interesting view of this species.

Lorant Voros
07-15-2011, 02:21 PM
I like this one very much. Agree with the cropping suggestion and I would crop out the rock spot from the lower left corner to give it more the feeling that there is a big space below the monkey. Congrats on this great capture.

Lorant

Harshad Barve
07-18-2011, 07:44 AM
very nice indeed
TFS