PDA

View Full Version : Hummingbird practice

nancy hazen
07-13-2011, 12:14 AM
<table cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr class="lookatme"><th>

Camera
</th><td>Canon EOS 7D (http://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/eos_7d/)</td></tr><tr class="lookatme"><th>Exposure</th><td>0.001 sec (1/2000)</td></tr><tr class="lookatme"><th>Aperture</th><td>f/10.0</td></tr><tr class="lookatme"><th>Focal Length</th><td>400 mm</td></tr><tr><th>ISO Speed

</th><td>1600

I'm working on getting detail an using CS5 - There is a fine line when too much PP hurts an image. Does this look too processed. Thanks for your help.
Nancy
</td></tr></tbody></table>

John Chardine
07-13-2011, 08:27 PM
No this doesn't look too processed to me Nancy. I would like to see a bigger version but what I am seeing is very sharp, but not too sharp. Two things would help the image- move the bird down in the frame and have his head turn CW towards you a little- the latter may be in another image you have.

Kerry Perkins
07-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Nancy, I agree with John - would love to see this at the full size allowed. You can post up to 1024 wide and 800 tall. You are getting some really nice captures with these little guys. Great setup you have with your background far enough away that you can shoot at f/10! Just waiting for that head turn...

Brendan Dozier
07-14-2011, 09:51 AM
Nice BIF capture of this Hummer, Nancy! Like the colors, detail, and just the right amount of blur on the wings. Agree about posting a larger version. Nice work!

Jeff Cashdollar
07-14-2011, 05:49 PM
Nancy,

John gave great feedback, just too tight. Needs room to breath in the frame.

Rachel Hollander
07-15-2011, 09:17 AM
Nancy - nicely done. Agree on moving it down in the frame. I'm impressed that you have this clean an image with ISO 1600 and the 7D.

TFS,
Rachel

nancy hazen
07-15-2011, 04:16 PM
No this doesn't look too processed to me Nancy. I would like to see a bigger version but what I am seeing is very sharp, but not too sharp. Two things would help the image- move the bird down in the frame and have his head turn CW towards you a little- the latter may be in another image you have.

Thanks John,
I couldn't post a larger image from my flickr acct. The next size is too big. I'll have to check the orig., because I don't think I had more room at the top. I would love the head turn too. I am going to try some new ideas with the feeders with flowers attached to try to get better head angles. When I get more head facing, I often get the colors blown out too. My goal is to get the beautiful reds and greens without the glare. Thanks for your ideas. I appreciate them.
Nancy

nancy hazen
07-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Nancy, I agree with John - would love to see this at the full size allowed. You can post up to 1024 wide and 800 tall. You are getting some really nice captures with these little guys. Great setup you have with your background far enough away that you can shoot at f/10! Just waiting for that head turn...

Thanks so much Kerry. I was bummed that I couldn't post the larger size from my flickr. account. Maybe I should look at that again.
This time I had the feeders in a more open area that helped with the background. I am trying to use F10 to retain as much detail as possible on the hummer body. Using lower Fstops often gives me a section of the hummer that is sharp, but not the whole body.
Of course, if they would just hover in one spot as I have discussed with them, it would be a lot easier:w3:bg3: But... they don't listen to me:bg3::bg3: I guess that is part of the challenge that keeps me sitting there so long. Thanks for looking and the kind words.
Nancy

nancy hazen
07-15-2011, 04:21 PM
Nice BIF capture of this Hummer, Nancy! Like the colors, detail, and just the right amount of blur on the wings. Agree about posting a larger version. Nice work!

Thanks so much Brendan. I'm going to try to post a larger image. Thanks for looking.,
Nancy

nancy hazen
07-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Here it is a bit larger.

nancy hazen
07-15-2011, 05:17 PM
Nancy,

John gave great feedback, just too tight. Needs room to breath in the frame.
Thanks Jeff. I did check and the hummer was at the top of the frame. Hopefully, I'll have better luck next time.
Thanks for looking.
Nancy

nancy hazen
07-15-2011, 05:20 PM
Nancy - nicely done. Agree on moving it down in the frame. I'm impressed that you have this clean an image with ISO 1600 and the 7D.

TFS,
Rachel
Thanks so much Rachel. I may have used a little noise reduction on the body, and a lot of noise reduction on the background. Noise is a problem, especially shooting the hummers as it gets towards dusk. This one also was shot in the afternoon so the natural light was better. Thanks for looking.
Nancy