View Full Version : Summer Whites

John Platt
07-12-2011, 05:24 PM
1/15
f16
tripod
ISO 200

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6132/5931337927_5d1746c9d0_z.jpg

Working on white... tough to shoot and tough to develop, at least for me it is!

Comments and helpful PP hints most welcome!

JP

Roman Kurywczak
07-13-2011, 11:16 AM
Hey John,
Whites are tough but you need to get them in the right light and they will shine! I do find the BG a bit distracting but an easy tone down to minimize that. You didn't mention what kind of light you were shooting in but it loks diffused and the whites have excelent detail. Many times they will be a bit blue or cyan......so removing blue in PP'ing can often help. Be very careful with that histogram when you are out in the field on whites......a few tiny blinkies are acceptable in most cases but make sure you don't have large areas.....compensate with a bit more under if that happens. You can also be introducing some more when you make a contrast adjustment. Same goes for either a levels or curves adjustment so you have to be very critical when PP'ing and always keep an eye on the brightest areas.
All in all.....I think you did very well!

Dave Leroy
07-13-2011, 05:58 PM
Whites seem to have a lot red channel in them which may be natural or a bit of colour cast from surroundings. If really more white than shown you might try taking some of the red out in post processing.

Very well exposed and nice dof as well.

Dave

Anita Bower
07-14-2011, 01:48 PM
Do you know the name of these pretty white flowers? I like the composition and the tight crop. If you wanted a more blurred background, you could try a wider aperture. You could use Color Balance and Selective Color >White in your post processing to get these flowers a bit whiter. I would also use the clone tool to clean up some of the spots on the flowers. Thanks for sharing.

Steve Maxson
07-14-2011, 04:15 PM
Hi John. Your image is nicely composed and has good sharpness. I agree that whites are challenging - both in the field and in pp. To me the whites in this photo look more beige than white - if you want them to be whiter, you have some very good suggestions above to try out. Some experimentation should get you the results you seek. :S3: