PDA

View Full Version : Leopard - b&w

Hilary Hann
07-12-2011, 03:21 AM
Thanks to Peter Delaney I have tried hard to turn this into a passable b&w. It isn't up to his working of my colour image, but I've learned so much about processing b&w in the digital dark room that I'm happily exhausted. A bit of a way to go, but it is a start.
The colour image is here
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/86231-Leopard?p=691359#post691359

Ofer Levy
07-12-2011, 06:16 AM
Hi Hilary,
I prefer the colour version but the B&W is quite nice too.
Here is a repost with slight darkening and cropping a bit off the right.

Rachel Hollander
07-12-2011, 06:56 AM
Hilary - I love this as a b&w and your hours of effort have really paid off. The textures of the tree/logs comes through well and the leopard's markings as well. I agree with Ofer about darkening a little especially in the leopard's chest area.

Well done. :5

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
07-12-2011, 11:18 AM
Hi Hilary, well personally I think I prefer the colour overall, but the B/W does have some nice qualities.

Sadly for me, I feel the version posted is just too contrasty and now back, comparing both yours and Peters side by side, even Peters is for me, quite strong tonally, but then it is all down to personal taste, plus in Peters defense he was working with the web image too. Although saying that I guess it needs to be quite punchy in it's statement. Looking at the tree trunk & BG I also feel it has lost a lot of it's original qualities, however I wonder if the hi ISO is now more evident in the B/W as you have made variations along the way to get to this?

Not sure if this answers any of my thoughts and perhaps is less striking and perhaps flatter tonally? :2:2:2

This is just a B/W conversion from the colour, with a hint in Levels?

Steve

Morkel Erasmus
07-12-2011, 05:07 PM
Hilary - horses for courses here for me. I am the first one to vote for a high contrast B&W as that tends to be my personal preference...though I find myself favouring Steve's repost here as it makes the leopard pop out more selectivelye...though I get where Peter was headed with his emphasis on the tree trunk and its lines/textures.

Maybe my ideal version would be Steve's repost with a hint of burning on the branches to lighten them up a bit? :e3

Hilary Hann
07-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Thanks all, I think this is an image which lends itself to a variety of processing. As an exercise it has given me great practise and I thank everyone for their reposts and advice.

Ofer Levy
07-12-2011, 10:28 PM
I really like Steve's repost as it makes the BG look less dominant.

Hilary Hann
07-12-2011, 10:54 PM
Yes, it is very nice, I agree.

Steve Kaluski
07-13-2011, 01:41 AM
Yes, it is very nice, I agree.

Things can look very nice, however and more importantly, does it hit the mark? As you say Hilary, there are so many options, but ultimately, it must be right IMHO. :w3

Trust all this is adding to your arsenal of skills.

Steve

Dumay de Boulle
07-13-2011, 03:16 AM
I prefer Steves repost (toning down the dark BG) but like the color one as well..>Love the way she is posing!

Bob Miller
07-13-2011, 07:32 PM
Hillary....op is not bad but i much prefer steve's repost because the bg is more even and the subject stands out because it the lightest element. Morkel also has some good advice lightening the tree trunks just a bit so they lead the eye to the subject!....Very nice pose captured!