PDA

View Full Version : Borrego Badlands

Brendan Dozier
07-12-2011, 02:36 AM
Badlands of Anza-Borrego desert, eastern San Diego County, CA - taken back in January. This is my first attempt to stitch a pano together. Used 8 images in CS5, auto-align and auto-blend, S&H, levels, saturation, color balance, Topaz Details & smart sharpen. That's a dry river bed snaking through the canyons down below. Anza-Borrego Desert State Park is the largest state park in California.

7D, EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, tripod
1/80
ISO 400

C&C welcome & appreciated,

-Brendan

Roman Kurywczak
07-12-2011, 09:54 AM
Hey Brendan,
Looks like a tough place to shoot! Nice job with the stitch and you chose wisely minimizing the sky. I t looks like you had low light....which is good, but it also cast some big shadows and while I don't mind the ones on the right....the left one seems to dominate. I looked at this with it cropped just to the left of the dry riverbed......and it works better for me. Perhaps a different time of year will give you a better angle? Not having been there....not sure it is possible. A good job overall though and looks like a cool place to revisit.

Brendan Dozier
07-12-2011, 01:16 PM
Thanks for comments & suggestions, Roman. I see what you mean about the crop, and definitely have to check out the best time of year / time of day to shoot this, as shadows were a problem. I also tried a B&W conversion, but did not look that great, but might look great with different light.

Andrew McLachlan
07-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Hi Brendan, nice work on the stitching and the beautiful light. I agree with Roman on the crop.

dankearl
07-12-2011, 08:45 PM
Surreal landscape, I would like to see a dawn or sunset photo.
I like the sky and the scene in the far distance on the right side.
It seems you didn't need to use iso 400 unless it was really bright?
A slower shutter speed with a lower iso might give a bit more richness to the scene.

Brendan Dozier
07-12-2011, 10:25 PM
Thanks Andrew & Dan!

Good tip Dan, I will have to keep that in mind for the future.

Rachel Hollander
07-13-2011, 04:02 PM
Brendan - good job on the stitching. The shadows look like they were tough. Some good advice above.

TFS,
Rachel