PDA

View Full Version : Urban Landscape

Gary "Jake" Jacobson
03-28-2008, 07:31 AM
I created a new series of photographs captured during a 90 minute photo shoot on Good Friday. My goal was to capture the beauty of Minneapolis during a snowstorm. In addition to the time constraint, I made it a little more challenging by capturing all of the images by using only one lens a Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS. This mini project was a real stretch for a self-professed nature and wildlife photographer. As fellow photographers, I would be curious to hear your thoughts on these images. Feel free to leave comments on the gallery website.

Click here (http://frozenshutter.smugmug.com/gallery/4561651_DLGnz#268884483)

Thanks!

Alfred Forns
03-28-2008, 07:38 AM
I like the idea of you project You will be amazed at what can be doen with one lens I have giving it a try myself with a single focal lenght

The shpes and colors are appealing Textures complement the image Not sure why but I'm drawn to more slight different crop Removing some from top and just a little form the bottom will make it flow Do like it a lot as presented !!!!

Gary "Jake" Jacobson
03-28-2008, 08:17 AM
Thanks Alfred! I had some other images contained on the link that might have been more appropriate for posting here, but I didn't have time to get a water mark on the images prior to posting. Thanks for the suggestions on this image.

Roman Kurywczak
03-28-2008, 05:09 PM
Hi Gary,
I like the idea of Alfred's crop (pano). Is the image leaning right a little? I would also boost the contrast if it doesn't affect the snowflackes as they are spectacular!
Roman

Robert Amoruso
03-28-2008, 09:41 PM
Gary,

I like the image but felt that it needed more contrast and a rotation which I did. I also cropped some but not to a true pano.

Of course, images like this are matters of interpretation of the artist and in such cases my interpretation is not the one that matters but yours. Let me know what you think and thanks for posting.

For contrast I just did a curves adjustment using the medium contrast preset of PSCS3.

Gary "Jake" Jacobson
03-28-2008, 11:32 PM
Thanks Robert and Roman! I know where I would like to get a better angle on this particular subject and it has fascinated me for years. However, the area has very limited access and I am hoping to get back there and try a few things. I do like the pano crop and the increase in contrast via curves. I am a fan of the textures in this image and appreciate your feedback and suggestions.

Thanks!

Harold Davis
03-29-2008, 07:48 AM
hi gary. cool idea. i like it. i liked robert's version but would like to see some more to the right. btw, #33 on the website is fantastic!!!!!!!

Gary "Jake" Jacobson
03-29-2008, 10:40 PM
Thanks Harold! :)