PDA

View Full Version : Kittiwakes

Simon Wantling
07-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Hi all,

My first posting here and I'm fairly new to the bird photography area and post processing. Here I've used Aperture for the post processing from RAW. The image has been cropped a fair bit and was taken at Bempton Cliffs in the UK. Comments very much welcome.

Canon 7D, Canon 100-400mm, f/6.3, 1/640, ISO 400, shot at 400mm

Thanks, Simon

http://www.back-garden-moths.co.uk/kittiwake 2.jpg

Stu Bowie
07-10-2011, 12:02 PM
Congrats on your first post here Simon, and may you share many more with us. There are a few over exposed areas, but overall you have handled the whites fairly well. It is best to try an isolate your subject so the viewer can concentrate on the main subject. Im not sure you could that here, as it seems you are on the edge of a cliff. :w3 There is also a hint of a blue cast in the whites.

Kaustubh Deshpande
07-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Simon, welcome aboard.

I like the habitat and the shooting angle. Also liked the exposure. ONe bird looking at the camera, one up and the other away makes it interesting.

However, the crop could have been different. As presented, the right side is distracting and not adding a whole lot. Its a little tight at top and bottom. If you post the orig( in 1024 pixels wide), we can take a stab at coming up with a different crop...a vertical perhaps.

Simon Wantling
07-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the replies and your advice. I can see what you both mean. I found this quite a difficult shot to do and had to recover the whites in Aperture to bring more detail in. Stuart, I can see what you mean with the blue cast on the whites. This was shot in AWB, so perhaps as it was a very bright sunny day I should have adjusted the camera.

Will post another image later if I can regarding the crop.

Thanks again:bg3: