PDA

View Full Version : Yellow-crowned Night Heron

DanWalters
07-10-2011, 08:28 AM
Image captured in Greeley, Colorado. I know not technically perfect. More historical. This is only the fourth time in a hundred years one of these birds has been spotted in the area. In fact, it has mated with a black-crowned night heron and there are hybrid chicks. Thanks for looking.

Canon 1D Mark2
500mm f/4L
1/400 sec F/7.1
200 ISO
RAW

Dave Leroy
07-10-2011, 10:13 AM
An interesting bit of a local story and thanks for sharing.
It is always nice to get a photo of a natural event like this one.

Good for you.

Dave

Gary Esman
07-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Hi Dan, nice shot since the opportunity is very rare. Might want to capture this a few more times:S3:
All in all a nice shot. Thanks for sharing and thanks for the info.

Gary.

Nancy Bell
07-10-2011, 10:24 AM
Dan, thanks for posting. I live 40 miles north of Ft. Collins and have been following the story on COBirds. I'll be interested in what the chicks will look like when they grow up. Nearly 30 years ago I found a Yellow-crowned Night Heron along the Poudre River in Ft. Collins, long before I was aware of a birding network and the reporting of rare species :e3.

Stu Bowie
07-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Hey Dan, sounds like you got yourself a rare capture here - congrats. When its as rare as you say, You take any shot to capture the moment. Also interested to see what the chicks would look like, although juvies of these guys are very different before adulthood.:w3

DanWalters
07-12-2011, 06:55 AM
Thanks for the comments!