PDA

View Full Version : A Weevil

ARIJIT BANERJEE
07-10-2011, 06:40 AM
The red on yellow was striking enough to draw my attention. What I first thought was a fruit/ flower was in real an inch and a half long Weevil. The reds on it are parasitic mites (ugh!).

Pentax Kx, SMC Pentax M 100mm f4 macro

http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz341/arijit_2001/8julyinsect2kxm100cs5mac.jpg

C& C appreciated.

Dave Leroy
07-10-2011, 10:23 AM
What an interesting looking creature. And big as well.
It just confirms that there is a whole other world out there in macro.

I like the composition and the little mites stand out well. Sharp and focus is spot on with a nice DOF.

The only small nit, for me, is the bit of oof stem on right side which could possibly be cropped out if that was your taste.
Very nice photo.

Dave

ARIJIT BANERJEE
07-10-2011, 10:26 AM
Dave,

Thanks for the inputs. I will do the crop and see how it looks.

However fun bugs are, shooting them always leaves me a bit, very little queasy.

Thanks again,

Arijit

Roman Kurywczak
07-10-2011, 12:35 PM
Hey Arijit,
Light is fantastic as is the pose! sharpness is right where it needs to be too! A step left in the field.....would have minimized or eliminated the OOF greenery on the RHS.....but they don't always stand still as we would like:bg3:.....so a very nice effort overall and very nicely done!

ARIJIT BANERJEE
07-10-2011, 09:18 PM
hello there Roman,

Thank you so very much for your inputs. Yup a bit of work could have helped in getting a less cluttered angle... digital has made me lazy and frankly I am not attending to composition while shooting... which I really should.

Arijit

christopher galeski
07-11-2011, 02:47 AM
ver nice image Arijit,sharp,nice light,I agree what Roman says about a step to the left in the field,but still a very nice image,well done and thanks.

Steve Maxson
07-11-2011, 10:17 AM
Hi Arijit. This is a very cool looking weevil and the colorful mites add interest. You captured an excellent pose in nice even light with good sharpness. The OOF vegetation on the right isn't bothering me that much, but you might try darkening those areas to make them less noticeable. Overall, this is very well done.

ARIJIT BANERJEE
07-11-2011, 10:39 AM
Gentlemen, i am grateful for your inputs. Thanks a ton. I really need to be less lazy while shooting. Christopher, selective darkening will that be it??

Arijit

Steve Maxson
07-12-2011, 07:36 PM
selective darkening will that be it??

Arijit

Yup. Just a little darkening on the brightest areas near the right frame edge. You could try the burn tool at about 10% opacity or you might try painting a darker green over those areas using the brush tool at 10% opacity. Just keep burning or painting over those areas until they look the way you would like.

Saravana Gurusamy
07-13-2011, 08:04 AM
The red looks great.. but yikes.. mites! Beautiful picture sir. Very colorful.