PDA

View Full Version : Lower Falls Rainbow

Maureen Allen
07-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Lower Falls, Yellowstone NP with the 9: 55am rainbow. The first day I went it was cloudy and the rainbow was unimpressive. The next day was sunny and beautiful and the rainbow was much more vibrant.

Nikon d300, 70-200mm f/2.8 @ 140mm, ISO 400, f/8, 1/800, polarizer

Comments and suggestions appreciated.

Rachel Hollander
07-10-2011, 09:59 AM
Maureen - Nicely done and I like the rainbow in the mist. Maybe a little ccw rotation and a little more room above if you have it. I might have gone with a slower ss and stopped down a bit for more DOF in focus . Did you have an opportunity to experiment while shooting? I missed getting the rainbow when in YNP so nice perserverance on your part.

TFS,
Rachel

Maureen Allen
07-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Thanks, Rachel. Appreciate your suggestions. I did experiment a bit with the falls, but not while the rainbow was visible.

Roman Kurywczak
07-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Hey Maureen,
Yep......rainbows need sun! I think you chose wisely with the SS......when the sun is out, I rarely like the slow SS as the water tends to get too milky. the sharpness doesn't look quite as crisp as I would expect.....even at f8 and that distance......so perhaps another round of USM will make it snap. I'd imagine the compression and bpn limits played a role too. It does appear to need a rotation....but hard to judge when you are tight like that on the falls and you don't have a horizon. Worth exploring though to see if it "looks" better.
Nice job holding the whites in check and a good job overall.

Andrew McLachlan
07-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Hi Maureen, agree with above comments and suggestions. A very nice composition. I love the meandering river leading up to the falls. Good choice to freeze the cascading water - some waterfalls need this SS to show the force of them. You did well here.

Maureen Allen
07-10-2011, 05:51 PM
Roman and Andrew - Thanks so much for the suggestions and kind words. Landscape photography is new to me, but I'm giving it my best :S3:

Brendan Dozier
07-12-2011, 03:14 AM
Beautiful scene, and nicely composed, Maureen! I agree, the power of those falls really comes through in this image. Agree about a bit more dof and sharpness. Nice work!