PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Pennant handstand (obelisking)

Allen Sparks
07-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Canon 7D, 70-200 IS F2.8 II, 2x TC III, monopod, 580 EX II speedlite
ISO 400, 1/160s, f14, fill flash with flash compensation at -1

Found this guy doing the handstand today...too bad they only seem to do it in extreme heat :eek:. Cloned out some spectral highlights in the wings.

Dave Leroy
07-10-2011, 10:30 AM
That is a really nice symmetrical pose. Interesting to see how they latch on to the bit of stem.

Nice and sharp although to my eye a bit more dof would have been nice for the tips of the two closest wings.

Perhaps a bit darker or more contrast/saturation? Not sure which but it seems to need just a bit more to make it pop a bit.

Dave

Roman Kurywczak
07-10-2011, 12:32 PM
REally nice pose Allen! I think Dave has some great suggestions on going a bit darker overall with the brightness for a bit more pop. Bg is very nice.....perch is typical of where they land and you maintained the brightness well. I have debated the DOF.....given the pose, I think f14 would have been enough so another round of usm may do the trick. Once the brightness comes down a few poings.....I think this will shine!

Allen Sparks
07-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Okay, here is a try with it a bit darker...on the right track?

I find these hard to shoot with the full ode in focus when in this pose. I even shot this guy at higher ISO and f20 but the f14 was better from a DOF just because of the particular pose he struck on those frames.

OvidiuCavasdan
07-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Cool pose, great colors and I like that perch. Nice BG. Repost looks better to me. Well done.

Steve Maxson
07-11-2011, 10:08 AM
Hi Allen. Super pose against a very nice background. My initial thoughts were similar to those of Dave and Roman - that it needed just a little more pop. The repost accomplishes that very nicely. I don't mind the slight softness in the tips of the forewings. Very well done. :cheers:

Nancy Bell
07-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Very cool look on this dragonfly. I really like the almost symmetry, lower wings symmetical, upper wings not quite.