PDA

View Full Version : Red Dragonfly

Roy Priest
07-09-2011, 06:09 PM
Took this image an hour or so ago. I noticed this unidentified dragonfly kept coming back to the same perch so I grabbed my camera and shot a few images. I liked this one but not sure of the crop. I am not at all comfortable with macro so any and all advice is gratefully appreciated.
Nikon D700
Lens: 60mm F/2.8
Focal Length: 60mm
Aperture: F/22
Shutter Speed: 1/250s
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 2000

Allen Sparks
07-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Hi Roy. Interesting species you caught here. Not sure I have seen one like this. I like the detail in the abdomen shown and the color. Nice background too. I feel the perch with that large leaf is overwhelming the subject but not much you could do about it I suppose. I would tone down the bright spot on the upper leaf anyway.

Dave Leroy
07-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Nice photo Roy. I like the pose and placement of dragon fly in the frame.

The leaf is a bit of a nuisance though, and I wonder if removed would the dragon fly have kept returning.

I also might consider cropping some from the bottom and possibly cloning a bit to remove the cut stem.

Lovely bg and colour on the dragon fly.

Dave

Roman Kurywczak
07-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Hey Roy,
Great advice above on the perch and other tweaks.....but is that a typo on the ISO? Looks sunny.....so may have been 200. With either of those numbers there are issues........ISO 2000 and sunny......way overexposed even at f22 (doesn't appear to be the case). ISO 200 and sunny......about 1&1/3 under using the sunny 16 rule.
I still think you did about as well as you could given the perch and the light.....most DF are creatures of habit and will revisit favorite perches.....so either put a few out yourself or check out the natural ones! Once you settle in, they will often return. Just some ideas to keep in mind for in the field.

OvidiuCavasdan
07-10-2011, 04:15 PM
Nice dragonfly and colors, good BG. I dont mind that much about the leaf, but would have liked the twig without that cut.

Steve Maxson
07-11-2011, 10:01 AM
Hi Roy. This looks like it might be one of the Meadowhawks (Sympertrum spp.). I'm with Ovidiu - I find the leaf almost as interesting as the dragonfly, but the cut twig detracts a little. Good advice by Roman about perches. I like the comp, sharpness, and background, but I would suggest trying to tone down the blown highlights on the leaf and cloning some of the spectral highlights on the dragonfly. :S3: