PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Eurasian Oyster Catcher

Jamie Douglas
07-09-2011, 04:22 PM
I spent 3 days trying to find a suitable place to photograph these guys on the Isle of Skye in Scotland and the fact that it was a raining heavily when I did find my spot on a loch shore it didnt stop me from having a go. These guys move pretty fast. I'd also like to add that when the 7D gets a little too wet it gives you a hint. The screen dims slightly so thats when I call it a day, usually very quickly.

Techs... Canon 7d, 400mm f5.6 @ 5.6, 1/2000, ISO1250, exp comp +1/3

Thanks

Jamie

Karl Egressy
07-09-2011, 04:45 PM
Nice flight shot, love the open beak.

arash_hazeghi
07-09-2011, 05:32 PM
great wing position and a nice pose, IQ is not great however maybe a big crop?

Jamie Douglas
07-09-2011, 05:43 PM
great wing position and a nice pose, IQ is not great however maybe a big crop?

I'd say the crop was about 70% Arash. There isn't a huge amount of detail in the full frame given the heavy rain and ISO. I spent about 30 minutes in their company and then had to call it a day becasue I was soaked through.

Bob Miller
07-09-2011, 07:04 PM
jamie....I like the shot and i think for a 70% crop it looks pretty good! The open beak, the feather detail and pose all work together nicely. he almost looks like he is flying through a light snow....I was wondering if you could accentuate that and add some mood....just a thought? :w3

Joe Senzatimore
07-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Come to Long Island. They are like flies right now!!!!!!:2eyes2:
Sweet shot , this one. Nice composition and wing position.

DanWalters
07-10-2011, 08:14 AM
Like the open bill and the rain. The grey makes a nice background as well.

arash_hazeghi
07-10-2011, 12:29 PM
I'd say the crop was about 70% Arash. There isn't a huge amount of detail in the full frame given the heavy rain and ISO. I spent about 30 minutes in their company and then had to call it a day becasue I was soaked through.

if it is 70% of the frame then crop should be no issue at all, since you had more than 12 Mpixels in the crop ans posting size is less than 1 Mpixels,in fact 70% is great for flight shots. I think the main problem here is noise and soft focus due to low light. but you cannot control the conditions, hopefully you will find them again in better light

Jamie Douglas
07-10-2011, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. The conditions made it tough but one has to make do sometimes and it wouldnt be a photo from Scotland without the rain :). I was soaked through.