PDA

View Full Version : Common Blue Damselflies

Jonathan Ashton
07-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Canon 7D Canon 180mm macro tripod ISO 320 1/250 sec f10
I reckon there is just a little elation in submitting this shot. Whilst I don't think it is at all outstanding I am really chuffed to bits because it was taken in my newly installed garden pond only 3 weeks after water was added. I have had blue tailed common blue and azure damselflies ovipositing and also broad bodied chaser.... so maybe next year or 2013 I will be submitting some really good damsels and dragons!!:c3:

I digress - all C&C welcome I nearly cloned the top part but I decided it helped portray the natural setting.

Allen Sparks
07-09-2011, 07:50 PM
Hi Jonathan, congrats on the new pond and these visitors! Very interesting behavioral shot. Great to get both in focus too. I like the crop. My eye does get drawn to that stick in upper left...may want to consider zapping it.

ARIJIT BANERJEE
07-10-2011, 06:56 AM
But for the blurred twig, this looks lovely....

So 'content awaring' it might work. :-)

Arijit

Roman Kurywczak
07-10-2011, 12:16 PM
Hey Jonathan,
I can see why you are excited about the pond! I agree about the twig in the UL....and I would probably tone down some of the FG greenery and distractions....but all in all a fine effort and looks like you are going to have very productive years ahead of you!!!

OvidiuCavasdan
07-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Congrats on your new pond! Seems you'll have a lot of oportunities to shoot nice images.
Interesting pose, nice colors, also good DOF. Agree about the stick/twig.

Steve Maxson
07-11-2011, 09:42 AM
Hi Jonathan. You did a very nice job of capturing this behavior. It's always a challenge to get both damsels in focus, but you did very well on that account too. I think toning down the brightest areas of the plants and the stick (grass stem?) will strengthen this cool image while still retaining the natural look. :S3: Well done.

Jonathan Ashton
07-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Thank you everyone for your encouraging comments.