PDA

View Full Version : adult piping plover

allanrube
07-08-2011, 04:52 PM
While the chicks are much cuter, it is fun to watch the parents. The chicks run in all different directions. The poor parent must decide where to stand to keep a watchful eye on 3 or 4 chicks.
Last week - D300s with 600VR and 1.4 tc. 1/500 at f/6 manual exposure, flash at -2
uniwb at iso 250

Jonathan Ashton
07-08-2011, 04:58 PM
What a cute little chap he is! I really like the composition and theexposure, the detail is first class. I get the impression the image has a cast, I took the liberty of downloading it and simply applied Auto levels and to me it really improved the colours - you may disagree but I would be interested to read your thoughts.
I have of course now deleted your image from my computer.

allanrube
07-08-2011, 05:04 PM
You did not upload what you did so I did an quto tone. It was way too bright so I quickly went to brightness (legacy) in PS 5 and reduced brightness -18.

dankearl
07-08-2011, 09:26 PM
Very nice, focus and DOF is really good.
Maybe a bit noisy BG, easily fixed.
Well done.

Jonathan Ashton
07-09-2011, 03:31 AM
Allan - love the repost, could you enlighten my darkness please, when you wrote (legacy) what does this mean - is this something only found in CS5. Thanks.

Paul Randall
07-09-2011, 04:12 AM
Repost without the yellowish cast looks great Allan, agree about a little BG noise but easy fixed. Nice work :bg3:

allanrube
07-09-2011, 05:35 AM
could you enlighten my darkness please, when you wrote (legacy) what does this mean - is this something only found in CS5. Thanks.

See this page (http://www.photoshopessentials.com/photo-editing/brightness-contrast/). It explains it better than I could. I normally would not use brightness, but I needed a quick fix after do auto tones.

Joe Senzatimore
07-09-2011, 06:11 AM
I guess I'm just a bit different , but I like the original. The light has a warm feel to it and the side lighting gives the image some depth. The repost just looks too steril for my taste.

Jon Saperia
07-09-2011, 07:00 AM
FWIW, I think I like the original tones myself. I have been working on some similar images. In one case I did lower the color temperature by about 150K. In the case of this original image, I think I would have left it just where it is. For some reason the contrast also looks softer in the first picture and I think that works a bit better for this image.
/jon

christopher galeski
07-09-2011, 07:11 AM
very nice Allen,Ilike them both,I agree with the others about the noise in the BG,thanks.

allanrube
07-09-2011, 07:45 AM
I did the repost because Jonathan mentioned doing what I did in his post (#2.)
I like the original better, but I probably would do a auto tone and fade most of it as I now think the original is a bit yellow.

Jon Saperia
07-09-2011, 08:02 AM
That was the concern I had for some of my images like this as well (too yellow). I think I liked cooling the temp down a bit in these cases as a technique rather than working with levels. I take it that 'auto tone' has a similar effect?