PDA

View Full Version : Blue-Throated Bee Eater with Food

Troy Lim
07-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Just got back from trip visiting family back in Malaysia. While visiting Kuala Lumpur, I had the privilege to meet up with some great photographers. Thanks to Koan, I was able to get some images of these great looking birds.
I have a whole new appreciation the way these guys get their images. Shot taken from the road, perch was hanging on the edge of a steep hill, the broken edges were natural. Because of the steep hill, there was no option of opting for a better looking perch :wink:. Taken around 3.50pm, light angle was high, opted for filled flash and hope it helped in eliminating some shadow.

Camera Nikon D3S
Exposure 0.001 sec (1/800)
Aperture f/7.1
Focal Length 1000 mm
ISO Speed 800
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Flash On, Return detected

Mike Milicia
07-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Very nice, Troy! Great job given the situation!
Wonderful back view with perfect look back pose and gorgeous BG.
Great use of fill flash.

arash_hazeghi
07-07-2011, 09:23 PM
excellent Tory I can't tell if flash was used which means excellent flash work. I would crop tighter to show more details

Satish Ranadive
07-07-2011, 10:08 PM
Beautiful image.Nice BG and pose.Loved the colors and composition.

Ofer Levy
07-08-2011, 04:20 AM
Very nice!! Pitty about the perch.

Dumay de Boulle
07-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Lovely IQ and great looking bird. Pops nicely from the BG and the flash worked a treat. Nice one!

Nico Steenberg
07-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Great comp and killer bg. Like the eye contact and bg. IMG is sharp and well exposed !

Craig Brelsford
07-09-2011, 10:41 AM
It couldn't have been easy to have lugged all your equipment back to Malaysia, but I see that you made good use of your stuff down there. Your bee-eater is a hard-working gal, a little dirty and carrying that insect in her mouth. Looks as if you had a TC on, and 3:50 p.m. in the tropics means some pretty harsh light. Still, I see details in the feathers. Nice! In difficult circumstances, you came away with a useful image.

Troy Lim
07-09-2011, 01:44 PM
It couldn't have been easy to have lugged all your equipment back to Malaysia, but I see that you made good use of your stuff down there. Your bee-eater is a hard-working gal, a little dirty and carrying that insect in her mouth. Looks as if you had a TC on, and 3:50 p.m. in the tropics means some pretty harsh light. Still, I see details in the feathers. Nice! In difficult circumstances, you came away with a useful image.

Craig,
I did not lugged the 600mm. :) I had the 30028 and that was heavy enough. A friend was kind enough to loan me the lens for this outing. He is a local so he has been shooting there for many times.
I wish we had the option of setting up the perch. It was too many places for the bird to land on, I was struggling a bit even at 1/800SS. I had one chance and I hope I walked away with some keepers.