PDA

View Full Version : El Capitan in mist. high key.

Kaustubh Deshpande
07-07-2011, 11:19 AM
40D. 17-40f4L at f/13. 17mm. iso 200. 1/125s.

All critiques welcome.

Rachel Hollander
07-08-2011, 08:40 AM
Kaustubh - Really like the mist and the conversion here. I like that you can see the trickles of the waterfalls. Not sure about the branches in the URC but guess that it might be too much empty space without them.

TFS,
Rachel

Roman Kurywczak
07-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Hey Kaustubh,
I generally like high key images but for some reason in this case......it is not workingfor me. I really like the fog in the scene and like Rachel......and not fond of the UR. I do think it does fill a bit of the space but I wonder if re-composing w/o the tree ont he left......with just el cap and the row of base trees?........that would minimize the sky as it is about 1/2 the frame now. Not sure what the answer is because with flowers and birds......you can have that much sky and the high key works. I applaud your efforts for trying something different though!

Kaustubh Deshpande
07-08-2011, 11:19 AM
Roman, Rachel, thx for the critiques. I am on the fence about the URC. I do think they serve the purpose of filling up the space as you both noted.

As you suggest, I did zoom in and take another shot. Here it is.

Roman Kurywczak
07-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Hey KD,
I think the repost does make a stronger comp.....still not sold on the sky though. Did you try adding black to the black channel in selective color? Perhaps even adding black to the neutral channel? Just some things to explore.

Rachel Hollander
07-08-2011, 02:10 PM
I like the comp of the repost but you also lost the waterfalls. Guess, we can't always have everything.

Andrew McLachlan
07-09-2011, 09:10 AM
Kaustubh, I prefer the repost mostly for the additional detail showing in the foreground trees. I wonder about toning down the sky a bit.