PDA

View Full Version : Crested Kingfisher

Craig Brelsford
07-06-2011, 10:41 PM
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> A crested kingfisher emerges after an unsuccessful dive into the Poplar Mountain River in Hubei, China. When the bird alighted in a tree along the stream, I knew that there was a good chance he'd dive, because the sky was overcast; kingfishers, like photographers, hate glare. I set up within 20 m of the spot where I thought the kingfisher would enter the water. I collapsed my tripod and lay on the wet, sandy bank. The kingfisher let out a squeak and hit the water right were I'd predicted. This shot records the moment in which the kingfisher is transitioning from swimmer to flyer as he makes the great effort to get airborne. The kingfisher project came at the end of a long day in 38-degree* heat and was a fitting reward for my struggles. The heartland of Megaceryle lugubris is China; the species ranges from India to Japan.

Device: Nikon D3S
Lens: VR 600mm F/4G
Focal Length: 600mm
Aperture: F/4
Shutter Speed: 1/3200
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: None
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 3200
Metering Mode: Center-Weight
Subject Distance: 15 m
Photoshoppery: I slightly overexposed this shot. The hottest parts of the image were the white streak across the bottom of the face and the water just behind the kingfisher. For the face, I cloned over the blown spots using similar, non-blown parts of the plumage nearby. I content-awared some miscellaneous junk in the BG, which I also noise-reduced.

*100 degrees Fahrenheit

Dudley Watson
07-06-2011, 11:06 PM
Top notch low angle image...VWD

Steve Canuel
07-07-2011, 12:58 AM
Superb timing and some very nice detail. Congrats on getting this shot.

arash_hazeghi
07-07-2011, 01:21 AM
great dynamic pose and excellent handling of high ISO (say thanks to your camera :t3 ) I only wish the KF was angled a bit towards you, but a great shot

Paul Randall
07-07-2011, 02:21 AM
Agree with Arash, my suggestion would be to chop the OOF still water in the FG out as well.

christopher galeski
07-07-2011, 03:43 AM
very nice Craig,like the green water,and the water droplets round the bird,and well done on your timing in getting this image.thanks.

Austin Thomas
07-07-2011, 03:45 AM
That is a special moment very well caught.

Well done.

Cheers

Austin

Vivaldo Damilano
07-07-2011, 04:04 AM
Stunning Craig, definitely one to be proud of, love the timing and the high ISO used :cheers::cheers:

Stu Bowie
07-07-2011, 04:09 AM
Craig, Ive been wanting one of these for ever, but my location does not allow a low angle like this. Very well timed, and just love the water falling off as he exits the water. Pity he didnt have a fish in his beak. :w3

MohsenVahedipour
07-07-2011, 05:09 AM
Excellent shot. What a nice timing. Great details in such a high ISO. TFS

Craig Brelsford
07-07-2011, 06:03 AM
Craig, Ive been wanting one of these for ever, . . .

Then y'all come see us in Asia, Stu! You'll have to come to Asia for the crested; Africa, I believe, has the similarly colored pied (also found in Asia) but not the crested.

Chris Martinez
07-07-2011, 06:31 AM
The look in the face exudes exertion. What a moment. The colour of water gives me visions of a lush green forest.

Wynand van Wyk
07-07-2011, 07:50 AM
Amazing action captured here! Not an easy image to get at all. Love the detail and green colours. Angle really adds.

Tough image, superbly captured!:S3:

Craig Brelsford
07-07-2011, 08:08 AM
Stunning Craig, definitely one to be proud of, love the timing and the high ISO used :cheers::cheers:

Vivaldo, hi, and thanks. I could go on and on singing the praises of my D3S. I walked into that situation knowing that my equipment could handle it. ISO 3200 is just not much of a problem with my camera.

Chris van Rooyen
07-07-2011, 09:38 AM
Well timed, well planned and well executed - fantastic.

Satish Ranadive
07-07-2011, 09:51 AM
Excellent moment captured.like the green water,and the water droplets round the bird.Lovely.

Sachin Saraf
07-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Excellent action shot...

Daniel Cadieux
07-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Well timed, well planned and well executed - fantastic.

I'm glad someone mentioned that, as that was my first thought when I read the descriptive. Way to go Craig...of course it just had to exit the water angled a couple of degrees awy from you now didn't it!! It's OK, I like this difficult-to-get image as is anyways:S3:

Michael Lotito
07-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Wonderful timing! I can't believe this one came easy! Well done.

Nico Steenberg
07-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Great sharp detail and IQ. Like the low angle. Subject is well exposed with good natural colours against a killer DOF. Well done !

Art Kornienko
07-09-2011, 08:39 PM
You sure worked hard Craig and you are right, great reward, conditions seemed brutal, great timing and planning. These type of shots are very rare indeed.