PDA

View Full Version : Line up for last rounds!

Morkel Erasmus
07-06-2011, 03:41 PM
I know it's a bit of a cliche - elephants lined up to drink...but yet I've always wanted an image like this, and every time I am with ellies at a source of water it never seemed to "line up" (excuse the pun).

This was taken early May 2011 in Savute, Botswana. We were spending time with a pride of lions who were just starting to stir as the sun started to set. Behind our position there was a bit of standing water (those who've been will know the area is a bit marshy overall). When it seemed like something had caught the pride's attention, we looked around and saw that a small breeding herd of elephants had approached silently and had already started to drink.

Techs:
Canon 40D with 70-200mm f2.8 L IS USM @ 200mm
f4.0 @ 1/1250 SS @ ISO-800
Slight crop from all around, with a tad more from the bottom to get rid of the immediate FG.

peter delaney
07-06-2011, 03:58 PM
Hi Morkel

nice family scene,

just thought the image looked a little flat, especially the shadows and water for that time of day...did you work on sky slight halo around tree top?

i also boosted the colour a litle just to get bring out that nice evening warmth..:S3:

Morkel Erasmus
07-06-2011, 04:01 PM
Thanks Peter...looks good, I was a bit timid to push the saturation and contrast here, but I guess it can do with a bit of a kick in that direction :w3. Processed a few weeks ago, and can't now specifically remember that I did anything specifically to the sky...:2

Tom Graham
07-06-2011, 05:56 PM
I like Peter's re-post. I'd also blue up some the sky. The blue water reflection and sunlight would support that.

Have you ever seen eles sleeping? About 4 years ago on a game drive in Sabi Sand, afternoon, we came across a family taking a "nap". Eyes closed, snoring, all 5-6 standing except one sub-adult lying on side sleeping. Took a couple of snaps, video, and quietly backed away.

Tom

Harshad Barve
07-06-2011, 09:15 PM
excellent family image and liked Peter's re-post
TFS

Sid Garige
07-06-2011, 10:33 PM
Awesome capture Morkel. Like Peter's repost with little warmer tones.

Vivaldo Damilano
07-07-2011, 12:39 AM
Excellent Morkel, also like Peter's version, little more pop and slighty darker tones :cheers::cheers:

Marc Mol
07-07-2011, 02:00 AM
Great light and comp on this family setting Morkel, with Peter's repost enhancing nicely.
TFS

Steve Kaluski
07-07-2011, 04:42 AM
I wondered when you might post this Morkel, glad you did, as Peter I feel has added that last bit of the jigsaw with the repost. Know exactly where you are location wise and this is certainly a favourite watering hole for the Elephants.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
07-07-2011, 06:34 AM
Nicely done and the warmer tones of Peter's repost improve an already very good image. I agree that they never seem to cooperate and line up this nicely. Your perseverance paid off.

TFS,
Rachel

Ofer Levy
07-07-2011, 09:54 AM
How about this pano which I feel makes a stronger impact?

Jay Gould
07-07-2011, 09:59 AM
I would definitely go with Ofer's pano; the elephants "lined up" are the story and all else in this case is negative space. There was nothing special about the greenery or the sky and its elimination has strengthened the image.

Morkel Erasmus
07-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. I like your pano repost Ofer. I tend to include environment/context more often than not, sometimes it's not necessary like you have shown here (that being said I was at full zoom with the lens :w3).

Katie Rupp
07-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Wonderful light here and usually I prefer pano crops but in this case, I think the op is more interesting b/c it includes a bit of habitat.

Dumay de Boulle
07-08-2011, 05:21 AM
Nice one bud...I saw this just after you posted. I also felt it lacked a bit of punch so I took it into PS and did basically exactly what Peter did and feel its much stronger. Nice to realize a dream image isn't it? Congrats:cheers:

Steve Canuel
07-09-2011, 02:05 PM
Quite the chorus line you got here Morkel. And nothing wrong with wanting a "cliche" shot if its not one you haven't taken. Your OP and Ofer's pano both work. Do like Peter's tweak though, gives it a touch more 3-D look.