PDA

View Full Version : Predaceous Diving Beetle

Steve Maxson
07-06-2011, 10:44 AM
This is the same Predaceous Diving Beetle (Acilius spp.) as in my previous post. When breathing at the surface they are able to store air under their elytras. It looks like some of this one's stored air is escaping. There must be a lot of surface tension between the bubble and water as the beetle remained in this position with the bubble looking like this for several minutes. 5D II, 100 mm macro, 1/80, f/16, ISO 100, MT-24EX macro twin flash (diffused), tripod, cable release, shot in a 2 gallon aquarium. I cleaned up tiny bits of floating debris in the water and ran NR on the background. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Roman Kurywczak
07-07-2011, 11:25 AM
These are just so cool Steve!!! Your set-up is really paying off as all the details are there and the light is fantastic! Great work all around!

Allen Sparks
07-07-2011, 03:51 PM
I want an aquarium! but I hate maintaining the things so I will just have to enjoy your great work Steve. Awesome light and love the water bubble. fantastic!

OvidiuCavasdan
07-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Well...another stunnig aquarium image! Perfect composition, sharp and very nice colors. The bubble makes this even more interesting! Thanks for the biology lesson.

Steve Maxson
07-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Thanks for your comments Roman, Allen, and Ovidiu.