PDA

View Full Version : Landing flare - Dalmatian Pelican (Pelicanus crispus)

Gerald Kelberg
07-06-2011, 02:59 AM
This image was taken on a fairly dull overcast day, so I have been playing around trying to brighten the subject relative to the background. I'm wondering if this works, or not.

I applied a duplicate layer with "screen" blending mode, adjusted the opacity to taste and masked the background.

Also tried Kerry's recipe with Topaz Detail (thanks!) and applied NR on the background.

Canon EOS 5d MkII, EF 100-400 at 180mm, 1/1250sec at f8.0, ISO 800.

Comments appreciated.

Gerald

John Chardine
07-06-2011, 09:02 AM
Sweet Gerald- these are great birds. Beautiful action captured and I love the feather detail. Love the crop and composition also. Very well done on this one.

John Goldman
07-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Works for me! You've done a very good job separating the bird from the BG.
Details, pose and clarity of the bird excellent. Only wish the far wing had more to it, ie, details.

Kerry Perkins
07-06-2011, 09:17 PM
Gerald, sweet image and excellent landing capture! There is great opportunity in an overcast day, and you have found how to use that diffuse light to your advantage. Super job on the exposure, detail, and composition. The only detractions for me are the shoreline intersecting the middle of the action and the bill eclipsing the far wing. Love the sharpness! :c3: Hope you get more chances for this species, very nice bird indeed!

Rachel Hollander
07-07-2011, 09:26 AM
Great pose and comp with nice detail and sharpness. I would prefer a little more room below for where the pelican is landing. Other nits covered above.

TFS,
Rachel