PDA

View Full Version : Boar's Tusk and Dunes

D. Robert Franz
07-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Just back from a week in some wild and remote country in SW Wyoming. Image taken right before sunset.

Camera Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Shutter speed: 1/8 sec
Aperture: 5.6
Exposure mode: Av
Exposure compensation: +2/3
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 200
Lens: EF70-200mm F4 IS

Morkel Erasmus
07-05-2011, 04:32 PM
Nice layers and colours Dale! How about just toning down the hint of magenta visible in the upright rock? Maybe also doing some shadow recovery there? :e3

Rachel Hollander
07-05-2011, 07:56 PM
Dale - I like the layers and colors here. The remoteness also really comes through.

TFS,
Rachel

chris Bycroft
07-06-2011, 05:35 AM
Hi. Great image. I like the colours, and I don't have a problem with the magenta colouring, it is a feature of the sunset. I think the image would be stronger if you crop off the grass and sand in the shadow at the bottom of the image. Well done.

Roman Kurywczak
07-06-2011, 10:20 AM
Hey Dale,
I think the light is really nice and I like the way the sweeping lines mimic each other. I don't mind the FG but I do like Chris's idea to more of a pano....just another option. You could also go with a more contrasty/bolder presentation....and that too would work IMO.....but the softness pallette does work well in the OP. Nicely done!

Jay Gould
07-06-2011, 12:56 PM
While there is a lot you can do with this, and making it all POP is one approach, I would change anything. While there are so many diagonal lines, the straight right side of the upright Tusk gives the viewer a point of reference. Very well done!

John Ippolito
07-07-2011, 01:38 AM
Dale, I like the way you included so many layers of landscape here. The light is sweet and the pastel colors inviting. Very nice work.

Andrew McLachlan
07-09-2011, 08:48 AM
Dale, nice comp! Agree on a little shadow recovery on the upright rock formation and also like the idea of creating an alternate comp by cropping off the shadowed foreground too! Nice Work!

John Platt
07-12-2011, 12:43 AM
Dale -

Nice image, I would not change the shadows, for me they add to the mood of the image. To my eye the color also looks like it should, I would however at least try the pano crop, the image has a "wide-open-empty-feel" which could work really well in that format.

Great job!