PDA

View Full Version : 4th of July over NYC

Roman Kurywczak
07-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Went to photograph the fireworks over NYC yesterday with great Friends Nick Palmieri and Susan Candelario. Had to get there early and it was still crowded.
Canon 1D Mark lll with the 28-135mm lens @ 35mm for 4 seconds at f22 and ISO 800. Added fireworks on the right (from other frames) over empire state and center.....just too much empty space.....next year different angle. Slight crop and saved at 47 Quality.

Lorant Voros
07-05-2011, 03:41 PM
Very cool image; I saw the f4th of July fireworks in NYC once and your photo brings back some nice memories. I think it was a great idea to add some fireworks as well to balance the image. Thank you for sharing.

Lorant

Morkel Erasmus
07-05-2011, 04:12 PM
This is such a cool shot Roman...lovely firetrails and makes you want to be there (even though we don't celebrate Independence Day :w3)

Is it just me or does it need slight CCW rotation? It seems as though the buildings are leaning a bit? :e3

Roger Clark
07-05-2011, 07:38 PM
Hi Roman,
Beautiful image. But I wonder about the exposure. Why f/22 at ISO800? There was not an issue with depth of field. ISO 400 at f/16, or ISO 200 at f/11 or even ISO 100 at f/8 would be better with less noise and more dynamic range.

Roger

Rachel Hollander
07-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Roman - thanks for showing me what I missed. I live on the Upper West Side and headed out of town for the weekend. Have yet to want to deal with the crowds though shooting one of these might be fun. I think Morkel's right about a slight ccw rotation. Everyone knows we lean left not right in NYC. :bg3: The longer exposure worked well to really get the full bursts.

TFS,
Rachel

Roman Kurywczak
07-05-2011, 08:24 PM
Hi Roman,
Beautiful image. But I wonder about the exposure. Why f/22 at ISO800? There was not an issue with depth of field. ISO 400 at f/16, or ISO 200 at f/11 or even ISO 100 at f/8 would be better with less noise and more dynamic range.

Roger
Thanks All! Will fix the righty lean (pretty funny Rachel!).

Here is the delimma when shooting the skyline Roger.....if you want the skyline to be visible.....you need an exposure about twice as long as the fireworks........so f16 or 22 gives me the longer SS to time the bursts and get the skyline exposed correctly. Not as easy as I thought it would be. I did use ISO 400 for a few too as this was my first time to do the fireworks of the city....even though I have lived close to there my entire life! A 4 second exposure seemed to work best for me........can't wait to experiment with a few more ideas next year!

dankearl
07-05-2011, 08:31 PM
Awesome, Roman.
There is nothing about this not to like.
Interesting and informative explanation about the exposure time and iso.
The skyline is the best part, I have seen a lot of fireworks, the combination is spectacular.

Dan Brown
07-05-2011, 08:37 PM
Thanks All! Will fix the righty lean (pretty funny Rachel!).

Here is the delimma when shooting the skyline Roger.....if you want the skyline to be visible.....you need an exposure about twice as long as the fireworks........so f16 or 22 gives me the longer SS to time the bursts and get the skyline exposed correctly. Not as easy as I thought it would be. I did use ISO 400 for a few too as this was my first time to do the fireworks of the city....even though I have lived close to there my entire life! A 4 second exposure seemed to work best for me........can't wait to experiment with a few more ideas next year!
Awesome work, Roman! Maybe I am missing something here, but I think Roger is right. You can achieve your required 4 seconds with each of the F/SS combo's he is suggesting, with less noise as a result.

Roman Kurywczak
07-05-2011, 08:46 PM
Awesome work, Roman! Maybe I am missing something here, but I think Roger is right. You can achieve your required 4 seconds with each of the F/SS combo's he is suggesting, with less noise as a result.
Hey Dan,
I can get the SS at say f11 and ISO 200.......but I don't have issues with noise on the mark lll....after all......I go to 6400 for my night stuff.

Dan Brown
07-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Hey Dan,
I can get the SS at say f11 and ISO 200.......but I don't have issues with noise on the mark lll....after all......I go to 6400 for my night stuff.
I kinda thought that, but wouldn't it still produce a better final file? Or do you just tame things in PP if needed?

Roman Kurywczak
07-05-2011, 08:55 PM
post is 47 Q......I just tame things in post. I'm not sure I would print over 20x30......but I don't have the need!

Maureen Allen
07-05-2011, 10:39 PM
This is amazing, Roman. The skyline/fireworks combination is wonderful. Thanks for the explanation of your settings.

Roger Clark
07-06-2011, 12:25 AM
Hey Dan,

Roman,

OK. I personally don't like the noise from any digital camera even at ISO 100. Didn't like the grain in velvia 50 either.:w3

But you would also get higher dynamic range at lower ISO, thus able to keep better colors in all the bright lights. And each of the ISO+f/ratio combinations I gave would give the same 4 second exposure time.

Roger

Roman Kurywczak
07-06-2011, 10:14 AM
I will try it out next year Roger for comparison. Thanks!

John Ippolito
07-07-2011, 01:29 AM
Spectacular image, Roman. The added depth from the clouds - or maybe smoke from the explosives is an added touch. Very nice work!!

Kaustubh Deshpande
07-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Roman, excellent creation...in camera and post work is superb. blacks are excellent. Suprised that the smoke is so less near the bursts. I havent done fireworks much but whenever I've done, the smoke always seemed to be an issue. this one's excellent.

Andrew McLachlan
07-09-2011, 08:39 AM
Hey Roman, great capture and addition of the other bursts on the right. Agree on the leaning skyline.