PDA

View Full Version : White-whiskered Laughingthrush, Taiwan

Craig Brelsford
07-05-2011, 09:01 AM
The birder who misses Taiwan has lived an incomplete life. The mountains of the beautiful island are yet another island, holding many endemics. Here's one: the white-whiskered laughingthrush. I found this little guy on Mt. Hehuan. I took this shot nearly three years ago but processed it only last month. Back in 2008, I buried the image because I thought that the bricks ruined the picture. I don't think so anymore. My laughingthrush's bill is dirty, but characteristic of this frisky species; white-whiskereds are inquisitive and fearless, sticking their beaks into everything. My front-on shot denies you a glimpse of the beautiful orange tones on the outer fringes of the primaries, but you'll be hard-pressed to find an image that captures that brown, faintly scaled breast more faithfully than mine.

Device: Nikon D300
Lens: Sigma 120.0-300.0 mm f/2.8
Focal Length: 300mm
Focal Length in 35 mm Film: 450mm
Aperture: F/5.6
Shutter Speed: 1/160
Exposure Mode: Manual
Exposure Comp.: None
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 200
Subject Distance: 3.6 m
Photoshoppery: Little. I noise-reduced the bricks once, to soften them. I noise-reduced the BG and sharpened the laughingthrush.

Mike Milicia
07-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Agree about the excellent detail throughout, great DOF, and I like the pose and "angry" look.

Not a big fan of the bricks.

Grace Scalzo
07-05-2011, 10:32 AM
Glad you unearthed this image, definitely belongs in your collection. Don't love the bricks but do love the details.

Dumay de Boulle
07-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Very cool bird and I like the pose. The head does not seem as sharp as the chest and not a big fan of the perch. Great mottled BG. Nice one Craig!

RakeshDhareshwar
07-05-2011, 10:57 AM
Lovely sharp image . + 1 on the perch , though .

Wynand van Wyk
07-05-2011, 11:24 AM
Agree on the perch. Lovely detail and bg! Well done.:S3:

Vivaldo Damilano
07-05-2011, 01:12 PM
Hi Craig, lovely bird and like the head turn. I would agree with perch not being the best.I would consider bluring the BG a little :cheers::cheers:

Nico Steenberg
07-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Great sharp details and eye contact. Subject is well exposed with a good bg. Well done :S3:

Stu Bowie
07-06-2011, 01:14 PM
Craig, excellent feather detail on the chest, and you got yourself a good pose and HA. Toning down the top of the perch/brick may enhance it further. I would also blend in the lighter areas of the BG. Looking forward to some of your images from your recent trip. :w3