PDA

View Full Version : Lovely legs (Red-necked Avocet)

Paul Randall
07-05-2011, 01:06 AM
Red-necked Avocet (Recurvirostra novaehollandiae)
Western Treatment Plant, Werribee, VIC, Australia
27/6/2011

Headed back down to shoot Avocets in better light this morning and ended up getting quite close to them. It took a while to get into position and to get down low enough I had to turf the tripod and lie down on the edge of the pond which, because it is often used by cattle, was very muddy and full of "hoof holes" filled with water. Needless to say I was absolutely covered in crap (some of it literal ) but I was really happy with the angle I was able to get. Shows off the bird nicely I reckon....just wish you could see more of those lovely blue legs

All comments welcome Paul

Canon 5D 600mm f4 L (non IS) +1.4 TC iso 400 1/800th f9.0 CW metering at +0 handheld rested on mud mound
Photoshop- slight sharpen and s/h adjustment

Vivaldo Damilano
07-05-2011, 01:37 AM
Love the POV and for me everything is just perfect. I also like the soft light and this image has great mood. It was definitely worth getting dirty TFS:cheers:

christopher galeski
07-05-2011, 02:17 AM
Beautiful image,of a beautiful bird,love everything about it.thanks.

Gerald Kelberg
07-05-2011, 02:19 AM
Nice to see a completely different variety of one of my favourite birds. I really like the way the red head contrasts against the blue sky.

Maybe a little tight overall - IMHO you could give it a little more space on the left and above.

Well worth the crap!

Karl Egressy
07-05-2011, 05:34 AM
Beautiful low angle image. Great colours. Love the way the water and sky blend seamlessly together.

Wynand van Wyk
07-05-2011, 06:27 AM
Ditto on the stunning low angle. The detail is great and the subject really pops. Very well done from me!:S3:

Joe Senzatimore
07-05-2011, 07:41 AM
Well worth the effort you put in. One sweet image with beautiful light.

Craig Brelsford
07-05-2011, 09:17 AM
I love this stunning avocet, and I appreciate your nearly perfect angle; the uncompromisingly low angle was the first thing that struck me about this image. I find the bird a tad soft, and I think I'm seeing the IQ beginning to suffer; did you crop the original image heftily?

Charles Scheffold
07-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Wow incredible low angle and sweeeeeet background! Guess it was worth getting dirty for :)

Charles

Grace Scalzo
07-05-2011, 10:43 AM
Colors are sweet and I love the angle of the light. Sounds like you worked hard for this image and were well rewarded.

Kaustubh Deshpande
07-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Paul, simply beautiful. Way to go on the low angle. Very nice walking pose, colors and exp. What a bird.

If mine, I'd probably compose it a bit different( with more room on top, a tad more in front and less behind)....but that usually comes down to personal preference.

RakeshDhareshwar
07-05-2011, 11:00 AM
One dreamy image , you have managed sitting in a bit of crap !!! Worth it !:w3

Dumay de Boulle
07-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Lovely image, the shooting angle is fantastic and the detail looks good. Maybe a touch, but I mean a touch more sharpening and the exp looks spot on. A bit more space on top for my personal taste but thats my opinion (doesn't make me right):S3: I seem to be seeing a blue cast especially in the shaded areas.

Richard Unsworth
07-05-2011, 01:51 PM
:S3:

It's good , it's very good

I wonder how many different Avocets there are - must look it up
tfs

Nico Steenberg
07-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Great low angle and DOF. Like the soft colours and eye contact. A super IMG !

Paul Randall
07-06-2011, 12:47 AM
Thanks all :S3:

About 70% of original image Craig which on the 5D is not too aggressive a crop, I sometimes can be left with quite a reasonable IQ shot from 50% crops and even 30%.
Definitely some blue showing through in the shadows but all natural I think so something I wouldn't change :bg3:

Craig Brelsford
07-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Thanks all :S3:

About 70% of original image Craig which on the 5D is not too aggressive a crop, I sometimes can be left with quite a reasonable IQ shot from 50% crops and even 30%.
Definitely some blue showing through in the shadows but all natural I think so something I wouldn't change :bg3:

I do want to salute you again. The low angle puts the viewer right in the game. I'll be thinking of shots like this one the next time I'm out shooting and contemplating whether to hit the dirt.