PDA

View Full Version : Just the one

Hilary Hann
07-05-2011, 12:37 AM
Mara North Conservancy. Part of the Loita migration.
7D; 400mm; ISO800; 1/1000; f5.6

Marc Mol
07-05-2011, 05:12 AM
Doesn't thrill me too much, sorry, Hilary, I do love the golden light though.:bg3:
TFS

Harshad Barve
07-05-2011, 05:28 AM
May be slight noise reduction on BG , otherwise techs looks spot on
TFS

Hilary Hann
07-05-2011, 05:48 AM
Thanks Marc and Harshad.

It's either bad karma or I need a break, probably easier to fix the latter. :e3

Stu Bowie
07-05-2011, 11:00 AM
Hi Hilary, I actually like the attention the egret is trying to give to the wildebeest. It also shows off how small he is compared to just the head of the WB. Good detail and colour on the WB and I like the layered BG. Maybe just a bit off the LHS, as I feel there is a bit too much empty space.

Dumay de Boulle
07-05-2011, 11:37 AM
I like the idea and the light is amazing. Very difficult to make interesting images from these guys and I think you have done well. TFS Hilary

Hilary Hann
07-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Thanks Dumay & Stuart.
I wanted to show a peaceful landscape scene but I could crop a little closer, just the noise and lack of detail concerned me. But thank you for the feedback. Hilary

Morkel Erasmus
07-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Gorgeous light and love the colour too Hilary. I get what you were after, but agree it's not as effective as you probably would have hoped. I agree with Stuart the egret is a nice touch, but I would have liked a bit of head-lift from the wildebeest...either just to give 'cognisance' to the bird or to actually stand tall and proud instead of grazing...

Hope I'm making sense? :e3 Would agree with Harshad on some NR needed on the BG.

Rachel Hollander
07-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Hilary - nice light and I like the layers within the short grass. For me, the inclusion of both the egret and wb add to the interest of this image. Might consider more of a pano crop, ending where the short grasses end on top.

TFS,
Rachel

Hilary Hann
07-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the crop suggestion Rachel, I really wanted to show as much of the plains as possible.

Morkel, you make perfect sense. I did apply NR but reduced it a bit to retain detail. To be honest, the noise didn't bother me.

John Blumenkamp
07-05-2011, 10:41 PM
Hi Hilary... I like the idea here too, and think a tighter crop (cropping top and left) would put more emphasis on the interaction.

Steve Kaluski
07-06-2011, 07:29 AM
Hi Hilary, I have looked at this several times to see if I am missing anything, but sadly I still feel that it doesn't really grab me. It's a WB grazing, but there is no hook, angle, detail that gives the image a spark and certainly, without the egret I really would be struggling. Yes the light is 'nice' but that is as far as it goes for me Hilary.

I have tried to be honest here Hilary as you have always wanted me to be, but am conscious that the last two posts have not quite hit the mark and I think you already know that based on your reply above.

Curious to know what you use for NR as it should not lose detail.:2

TFS
Steve