PDA

View Full Version : Luggage Suggestions (Checked)

Doug West
03-28-2008, 06:13 PM
There's always alot of talk about what we use for
carry on luggage, but I'm interested in what some
of you use when it comes to checked luggage?

I'm looking for something that'll be large enough
to handle a 1325 tripod along with enough room
for a 3-4 day worth of clothes, etc.

I guess according to the airlines I use, it has to be
62 linear inches.

Thanks
Doug

Alfred Forns
03-28-2008, 11:54 PM
I use Tumi bags and pad the tripod with clothing nothing special Also carry the hood for the 600 the same way !!!

Doug West
03-29-2008, 02:12 AM
I use Tumi bags and pad the tripod with clothing nothing special Also carry the hood for the 600 the same way !!!

Any particular model? I'm guessing you don't use the duffel types?

Thanks
Doug

Alfred Forns
03-29-2008, 07:48 AM
They are sort of like a duffel Square with wheels and handle All soft but with rigid tubes making a frame

I like to be self sufficient going through airports I also have a smaller duffe Tumi which fits over the big one The main decision is how big a bag would you get !!! The real large one can be a problem with weight You will be over every time you use it !!!

mikeojohnson
03-29-2008, 10:31 AM
I use Eagle Creek bags. They are very light and come in a variety of configurations. For adventure trips I check the rolling duffel. For shorter trips I use their regular luggage. I have had a part break and they were outstanding on the service. I think the bags have a lifetime guarantee.

As to what I put in them, it varies. Typically, the tripod goes in and a lens or two in Kenesis bags. Also, extra batteries, chargers, etc.

Between my carryon - a Think Tank and my briefcase, I have enough gear to be able to shoot and process if my checked bag gets lost.

Mike

George DeCamp
03-29-2008, 06:18 PM
Cabelas!!!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=SEARCH_RESULTS_NYR&id=0005919516144a&navCount=11&podId=0005919&parentId=&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IJ&rid=&parentType=&indexId=cat21458&hasJS=true

This thing has been to Africa twice, all around the US including Hawaii and not a tear on it yet!

Doug West
03-29-2008, 11:26 PM
Cabelas!!!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=SEARCH_RESULTS_NYR&id=0005919516144a&navCount=11&podId=0005919&parentId=&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IJ&rid=&parentType=&indexId=cat21458&hasJS=true

This thing has been to Africa twice, all around the US including Hawaii and not a tear on it yet!

George, if you happen to read this, that is a pretty sweet bag.
Just one question...are you able to pack your tripod inside?

Thanks
Doug

George DeCamp
03-30-2008, 12:06 AM
Just one question...are you able to pack your tripod inside?
Thanks
Doug

Yes!! The tripod and my Wimberley Head goes in there along with my 600mm lens hood. It is all paced in the bottom of the bag. The bag bottom is mounted on a rigid base which includes the telescoping arm for pulling it so the tripod is protected on one side by that rigid base and on the other side by my clothes. YOu can see this if you look at the images in "more views" under the main photo.