PDA

View Full Version : Frozen and unidentified

Steve Bein
07-04-2011, 12:48 PM
From a storm chasing trip last week. When the weather was expected to converge near where we happened to be, we often looked into abandoned buildings. This was basically an abandoned and stripped house. Nearby was an old shack which started as a log cabin and built up with add ons later.
As I walked through the house, I wandered into the bath room. All was gone except for the medicine cabinet and on top was a nest with what looked like fake chicks. Well developed and open eyes but not moving. Eventually I realized they were live and instructed by their mother to "stay".
The conditions were not great, but the situation was interesting, so I used my flashlight to illuminate and holding the camera with one hand, I took this photo. I hope someone can identify the species. This was the only bird photo I took on the trip and while not spectacular, it is interesting to me. The light was low, I only had my flashlight in my pocket for light so I set the ISO obscenely high, and it sort of worked. A photo of the house is in the landscapes and travel forum.
1D MK IV
24-105mm @ 67mm
Subject dist: 0.80m
1/60 sec, f/4
Exp comp: +1 2/3
ISO: 6400

Alan Murphy
07-04-2011, 03:38 PM
A location would help with the ID, but I'm guessing American Robin. Nice shot.

gail bisson
07-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Very cool shot. I think these are robins. I would play around with this picture in funky ways and see what I could do as an OOTB shot.
Gail

Charles Scheffold
07-04-2011, 08:18 PM
Steve - interesting story. Definitely different! Thanks for sharing.

Charles

Dan Brown
07-04-2011, 08:33 PM
I think that you have Say's Phoebes here, Steve. I have found them nesting in old buildings before and I have not seen the same from Am. Robin. The brownish plumage and the lack of speckling or spots are my basis. Where was this taken?

Steve Bein
07-04-2011, 10:08 PM
This was somewhere in either Nebraska or S. Dakota. Thsnks for commenting and keep commenting so we define what they are. Since we were traveling between 300 and 600 miles a day,. I am not sure where we stopped that afternoon.

STeve

Dan Brown
07-04-2011, 11:02 PM
Steve, the brown on the wing coverts and nest location point to Say's Phoebe. I think you need to repost in Avian: all about birds for a better shot at ID opinions.