PDA

View Full Version : Blue Dasher

Chuck Pavlick
07-03-2011, 10:06 AM
Hi All,
This is my first post on this site because I couldn't figure out how to attach an image. I've been admiring all the images posted here.
This shot is with the Canon 7d 1/500 th f/8 280 mm. It was hand held with the 70-200 f/4 with the 1.4 extender.
Chuck

http://www.pbase.com/hobbynaut/image/128504279/large.jpg

Roman Kurywczak
07-04-2011, 09:14 AM
Hey Chuck,
Welcome to the forum and glad you're jumping in! The combo does a great job with the BG and you have a nice pose. The white tip of the perch isn't my favorite but the sharpness is where it needs to be. Don't forget that you can sacrifice some SS to get a bit more DOF.....not so much on the tail.....but a bit more on the wings.....as the lattice work on the wings is starting to go soft and that is an important part of the image with this angle. Light looks pretty good too......so you are definitely on the right track. A good thing on the setup you are using is that they may not get as easily spooked so yo umay be able to change settings without disrupting them.
Welcome to the forum again and loking forward to seeing more.

Chuck Pavlick
07-05-2011, 05:14 AM
Roman,
Thanks for your comments. i will think more about DOF next time I try a shot like this.
Chuck

Hey Chuck,
Welcome to the forum and glad you're jumping in! The combo does a great job with the BG and you have a nice pose. The white tip of the perch isn't my favorite but the sharpness is where it needs to be. Don't forget that you can sacrifice some SS to get a bit more DOF.....not so much on the tail.....but a bit more on the wings.....as the lattice work on the wings is starting to go soft and that is an important part of the image with this angle. Light looks pretty good too......so you are definitely on the right track. A good thing on the setup you are using is that they may not get as easily spooked so yo umay be able to change settings without disrupting them.
Welcome to the forum again and loking forward to seeing more.

OvidiuCavasdan
07-05-2011, 02:17 PM
Welcome Chuck!
Nice colors on this dragonfly, good sharpness on the head. The BG is very nice.
Looking forward for your next one.

Steve Maxson
07-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Hi Chuck and a big welcome to the Macro forum! This is a very nice first post - I love the color in those eyes. You also have a nice pose, good sharpness where it needs it most, a clean background, and I like the even, natural light. Roman has a few good tips for you to consider. Overall, this is well done and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work. :S3:

Chuck Pavlick
07-05-2011, 09:59 PM
I would like to thank everyone for all the nice comments and suggestions
Chuck