PDA

View Full Version : Camera Insurance

Elliotte Rusty Harold
07-02-2011, 08:25 AM
As I pack multiple thousands of dollars of gear into my Thinktank for a trip to California, I begin to think about camera insurance. Does anyone have any experience with insurers? Ideally I'd like something low hassle that does not give me grief about claims, should there be any. Mostly I'd like to cover theft, but also damage. I'm definitely not interested in any policies that don't cover theft, including theft from a hotel room, vehicle, airplane, airport, luggage, or blind. I'm willing to take a reasonably high deductible (say $1000). I'd really like something that covers me internationally, but I might take a domestic only policy if that's all I can get. Thoughts?

David Pugsley
07-02-2011, 11:36 AM
I suggest you join NANPA and get the insurance they offer through CHUBB. Coverage is $0.0245 per $1 insured with a minimum premium of $350/yr. Everything under the sun is covered with no hassle. You set the replacement cost value for your items so you are sure to be covered should you suffer a loss. I shoot hovering inches over saltwater all the time and have no worries. Do I want to make a claim? No, but I know I'm completely covered should I take a tumble with my gear.

George Wilson
07-02-2011, 09:00 PM
I am an editorial photographer first and nature second. I use The Hays Group's to protect my still cameras, as well as related equipment (tripods, memory cards, film, etc.), against direct physical loss or damage.

The contact information is:

<address>Renee Green
Hays Companies of Washington DC
1133 20th St, NW
Ste 450
Washington, DC 20036
Phone (800) 809-6771
<!-- Phone (202) 263-4026
Fax (202) 263-4001
rgreen@hayscompanies.com</address>
They come reccomended by the National Press Photographer's Association (NPPA)

George Wilson--></address>

Jay Gould
07-03-2011, 12:49 AM
NANPA insurance rocks!!

Nancy Bell
07-09-2011, 07:57 AM
I itemize all my camera gear on my home insurance policy as a rider.

Ed Cordes
07-20-2011, 10:04 PM
I itemize all my camera gear on my home insurance policy as a rider.

Nancy, I might suggest you check with your carrier to see if you are covered if you sell any prints. Many home owners policies do not cover "professional" photography equipment. If you sell or advertise for sale (like on a website) you may not be covered.

It's worth asking your agent the question.