PDA

View Full Version : Luna Moth

Roman Kurywczak
07-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Another from the night series slides reworked. This one brings back many memories.....as I was with one of my photography mentors.....who found this outside....at night......when we were out in Maine. He has since passed away but I remember him holding a silver reflector for me and keeping other leaves out of the way.
Only specs are Kodak E100VS film, silver reflector, and the twin flashes HH. Probably f22 and 1/125 sec.

Steve Maxson
07-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Hi Roman. It must have been fun to find and photograph this guy (it's a male judging by the large antennas). Luna moths are very cool - unfortunately I haven't seen one in years. This is another clean looking digital conversion. You have good sharpness and the vertical comp works well. My only critique is that the flash seems to have blasted away (is that a technical term? :S3:) much of the beautiful subtle green color on the wings - you can still see some of it where the wings overlap. I haven't tried photographing lunas at night so I'm not sure if there is a solution for this. :S3:

Anita Bower
07-02-2011, 06:41 PM
I love the green mirroring green in this image--the moth and the leaf!

Jonathan Ashton
07-03-2011, 02:47 AM
I really like the colours, having noticed Steve's comment I may have to temper my enthusiasm :eek:- but I did think the use of flash looked very good indeed.:w3

christopher galeski
07-03-2011, 08:16 AM
very nice image,looks well with the leaf,like it thanks.

Roman Kurywczak
07-03-2011, 08:42 AM
Hi Roman. It must have been fun to find and photograph this guy (it's a male judging by the large antennas). Luna moths are very cool - unfortunately I haven't seen one in years. This is another clean looking digital conversion. You have good sharpness and the vertical comp works well. My only critique is that the flash seems to have blasted away (is that a technical term? :S3:) much of the beautiful subtle green color on the wings - you can still see some of it where the wings overlap. I haven't tried photographing lunas at night so I'm not sure if there is a solution for this. :S3:
I'm not sure Steve! I've always wondered about this image and have not seen another one since:e3. I always thought it was the wings were transluscent?.....but not sure. Nothing behind them although on other images I have seen....It was greener as you umentioned. Hopefully, I find one of these at a different time!

Ken Childs
07-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Roman, this moth is worn and that's why the colors look off. It if were fresher, the wings would not look so translucent and the overall color would look more like the area where the wings overlap.

It's been a fantastic years for Lunas in this part of the country. I've already had 10 come to my moth light setup. I'd only seen one live one on the farm in the previous 5 years so this is pretty amazing!

Bill Jobes
07-08-2011, 04:58 AM
The greens are enchanting, Roman.

I see why the photo holds special meaning.

Bob Miller
07-10-2011, 11:51 AM
Roman...i really like this...the orange eyespots and antennae are nicely setoff against the greens. Now I need to find one! :w3