PDA

View Full Version : Juvenile Kookaburra

Richard Mc Donald
07-01-2011, 03:20 AM
Canon 1D MK1V - 800 f5.6
f5.6
1/320
ISO800
Cute as a button as far as Kookaburras go.

Jeff Cashdollar
07-01-2011, 06:57 AM
Lot's to like here, very sweet and nice profile. Might take some off the right but not too tight.

Nice job with DoF. Assume the high ISO due to low light, love the shooting angle wish that branch was gone. Assume you could not move to a better position.

I am on work monitor looks like some fill light might help, it could be my display - nice one - love the species.

Kerry Perkins
07-01-2011, 08:54 PM
Richard, this one is indeed a cutie! I love how these birds look like they are smiling. Heck, maybe they are!

I like the pose and eye contact and color and detail are good. I think the mixed light hurts this image though. I would suggest toning down the bright area on the tree, as it draws the eye away from the bird. I think there must be more detail in the original file and would add some sharpening to the overall image. Lastly, I would crop from both the left and the right, making this into a vertical. You would eliminate a lot of the bright areas in the upper right and lower left by doing so.

Love that tail!

John Chardine
07-02-2011, 07:30 AM
Hi Richard- Great to see this spectacular species. Really love the structural blue colour in the wing. Must be great to see them flash that when they fly. Agree with the above and I would add that the most distracting part for me is the OOF branch running up in front of the perch and the bird. Not a lot you can do in post-processing but I just try to avoid making images with habitat elements in front of the subject to begin with. This often necessitates waiting or moving to a better angle.

Derek Willcox
07-02-2011, 07:46 AM
nice pic just a shame with the branch is that a normal kookaburra or a blue winged kookaburra

wendell westfall
07-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Richard, looks mighty cute to me! I concur with points made in the above critiques . . .