PDA

View Full Version : Least Sandpiper

Landon Starnes
06-30-2011, 12:46 PM
Hello all, this is my first post on BPN. I have been lurking for a while and have finally decided to jump in and start participating. Lot's of great photographers here and I am looking forward to learning from you all.

I will start off with posting my favorite image that I have taken so far. I got this one about 2 years ago at a local reservoir. I was laying on my stomach on some pretty uncomfortable rocks, but it was worth it in order to get the low angle and colorful bg. :S3:

Your comments and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Canon 40D, 100-400, 1/500, f/8, ISO 400

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-cThp_to9myA/Tgy1PZHFFBI/AAAAAAAAAe0/85TWClIckDY/s1600/IMG_0398-web.jpg

gail bisson
06-30-2011, 07:43 PM
hi Landon,
The colors are lovely and the light is very nice.I would take a bit off the top and, if you have the room, add a bit more in front of the bird.Your angle is nice and low and the BG very nice and silky smooth.Good DOF shows off the entire bird well.
The water ripple is nice as well. A really nice first post!
Gail

Daniel Cadieux
07-01-2011, 07:20 AM
Welcome to BPN Landon, I'm glad you've decided to post!

Awesome warm colours here, with a terrific BG. I love the low angle (it pays to get down and dirty and uncomfortable!). Pose looks good too. I'd crop out about a third of the top space, and that amount back below (if you have it). I would also remove the extra catchlight - the "third" one at the 9 o'clock position in the eye.

Well done, and looking forward to more from you...and don't forget to add feedback on others' images too:c3:

Landon Starnes
07-01-2011, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the welcome and comments Gail and Daniel!
Great suggestions, I was a bit on the fence on the right comp and will try your ideas, thanks! :S3:

One question, do I need to be a member to have a thumbnail of my image in the forum?
Thanks again.

gail bisson
07-01-2011, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the welcome and comments Gail and Daniel!
Great suggestions, I was a bit on the fence on the right comp and will try your ideas, thanks! :S3:

One question, do I need to be a member to have a thumbnail of my image in the forum?
Thanks again.

yes you do !