PDA

View Full Version : Loons at Rest

Jim Fenton
06-30-2011, 11:03 AM
Lousy lighting this morning but you make due with what you got the best you can..

Nikon D300s, 70-300VR,, 200mm, ISO 500, f8, 1/60, NearUniWB, +.7 EV, Nikon SB800 flash naked used as fill at -2

Randy Stout
06-30-2011, 11:10 AM
Jim:

Nice save! I was blessed with dark and dreary days when out for loons recently, so appreciate your challenges.

Subtle flash use. Sharp, well exposed.

Chick adds a lot, but it is the adults eye that really makes this photo work for me.

Do you know the age of the chick? I would guess 10-12 days old.

Cheers

Randy

Julie Brown
06-30-2011, 11:15 AM
Hi Jim. I really like this image. Your subtle use of fill flash is perfect-you did well to keep the contrast down, and the feather detail is all there, as far as I can see. I agree with Randy-the eye of the adult is what draws you in. A very sweet shot.

Marina Scarr
06-30-2011, 11:22 AM
You nailed this one, Jim, despite the bad light! Good work with the flash, and I absolutely love the intimacy of this one. Your subjects are so calm, and the water is so beautiful. :2eyes2:

Stu Bowie
06-30-2011, 12:48 PM
A tender moment that you have captured well Jim. Love the serenity of the setting, and I really like the colour of these loons head. Your comp works well too. Great image.

gail bisson
06-30-2011, 12:49 PM
Love it! Very peaceful and restful shot. Love both eyes. I also like the comp and the reflection.
Gail

Bill Dix
06-30-2011, 02:13 PM
A real beauty, Jim. Iridescence on the adult's head is lovely, and the subject is priceless. Great flash work.

Chris van Rooyen
06-30-2011, 02:32 PM
Hmm....lovely flash work and intimate feel

Dumay de Boulle
06-30-2011, 02:52 PM
Very nice use of flash to capture this intimate moment. i like the colors and textures in the water

Mike Milicia
06-30-2011, 03:22 PM
Lovely and well executed image, Jim!

Can't wait to see what you can do in good light!

Jim Fenton
06-30-2011, 03:51 PM
In good light I'll be able to really blow out the chest :)

Charles Glatzer
06-30-2011, 03:57 PM
Hey Jim,

Nice image, with saturated colors. Those chicks sure grow quickly. Typically, I find TTL -2 provides excessive flash with the loons in darker surroundings. I assume you had to tune it down in PP. Or, if shooting multiple bursts this one was taken at less intensity. I would prefer the subject further left, wink.

Best,

Chas

Jonathan Ashton
06-30-2011, 04:09 PM
Looks great to me I love the detail in the plumage poor light or not:2:2 looks pretty darned good to me.

allanrube
06-30-2011, 04:41 PM
Besides what others have said I really like the composition with the adult's head turned back towards the chick's.
They were also in the good part of the lake where the water color is perfect.

Jim Fenton
06-30-2011, 04:50 PM
Hi Chas....

I had this in fill flash mode with no extender and it worked rather well.

It was actually dark enough where they were that I needed a bit less negative EV on the flash than usual to help light it. Also, using the WB preset I use, you need to get about +.7 more light on the subject / scene.

Jim Fenton
06-30-2011, 04:51 PM
Good water color is easy in this location....what isn't easy is waiting until they are in an area where there aren't a myriad of white birch tree reflections on the water!

Charles Glatzer
06-30-2011, 05:20 PM
Hi Chas....

I had this in fill flash mode with no extender and it worked rather well.

It was actually dark enough where they were that I needinal image looks super.ed a bit less negative EV on the flash than usual to help light it. Also, using the WB preset I use, you need to get about +.7 more light on the subject / scene.

Jim,

Just saying with what I have experienced -2 fill tends to over light the subject requiring much in post production. The ever changing backgrounds make TTL exposure erratic at best. Normally, the head shows an unnatural sheen when using flash. Again, the final image looks super and I am glad it worked well for you.

Look forward to seeing more.

Warmest Regards,

Chas

Vivaldo Damilano
07-01-2011, 03:05 AM
All been said, this is a fantastic image, love the dark colours on the water and detail captured on the two birds. Good flash work, whites have lots of detail and good detail in the shadow area's. Just love the eye contact on both birds.