PDA

View Full Version : Stances for hand holding super tele lenses

David Stephens
06-30-2011, 10:32 AM
Over at www.photo.net (http://www.photo.net) the subject of shooting from a boat came up and migrated to techniques for hand holding. I hand hold around 99% of my shots with my 7D/500f4 combo and use "bumping" technique and follow other related advice that I learned here on BPN. Thanks guys and gals. :c3:

Someone at Photo.net submitted the following example as one way to hand hold a long lens:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathaninsandiego/5807350722/in/photostream/lightbox/

This struck me as a particularly unstable pose, but got me thinking for the first time about what I actually do. I'm right handed, so my right hand is on the shutter button and back of the camera at my face. I place my left hand just past the focus ring, or in at or near the mounting collar. I usually stand somewhat obliquely to the subject, left side forward, with my feet at approximately shoulder width, but, more importantly, when I can, I tuck my elbows into the outer edges of the front of my rib cage. Remembering my US Army markman training, I make sure that I breathe when I'm not shooting, but will hold my breath when actually shooting.

When the bird is straight overhead my elbows come off my rib cage.

I also have a "ready position" where the camera is across my body with both hands in shooting position, but the lens is against my upper chest held at roughly a 45-degree angle. I use this when walking through brush that might scare up a pheasant or through a thick wood where I might see a bird that'll require a quick shot. Otherwise, I tend to carry the lens by its tripod foot or rest it on either shoulder.

Even though I'm a line-backer build, but over 60, it took me a few months to develop the strength and endurance needed to hand hold regularly. If I can brace, I do. The hardest thing is waiting fifteen or twenty minutes for a hawk sitting on a fence post to finally fly down on prey. This is where a tripod, car roof, tree trunk or beanbag comes in real handy; however, if a brace is not available, I'll hold the lens in my ready position after I've sited in and preset the AF and the camera is ready for the action when it eventually occurs. With practice, I've gotten quick enough not to miss the action (most of the time). Even my ready position requires a rest when the wait is long. I'll try to do it when the bird is occupied with preening and doesn't have that "hunt" look in it's eye. A few seconds here and there is very helpful. (This is actually a pretty good workout for your arms).

Does anyone have any further thoughts on appropriate stances for hand holding supertele lenses?

Roger Clark
06-30-2011, 09:52 PM
Dave,
You've pretty much described my methods.

Roger

Sabyasachi Patra
07-02-2011, 12:07 PM
I had tried a sightly different pose with my left palm pressing my head and my 400mm f2.8 IS placed on the "V" shape created by my left arm. However, I prefer to hold the lens with my left palm near the lens hood. That is a comfortable position handholding the 400 f2.8 IS plus the Mark IV. However, when I add the 2xII TC to this combination, the handholding becomes really hard. In such cases, I wait for the moment, lift the lens and focus and fire. I have shots with critical sharpness using this combo, but it is very hard and I only do if there is no other way.

Thank God! Now I am more into filming with heavy tripod and fluid heads.

I remember once James had posted some good info about handholding. You may need to search.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

William Malacarne
07-02-2011, 12:13 PM
I was watching a friend shooting with 300 f/2.8. He was telling me how many of his shots were OOF. I noticed his left had was on the lens focus ring and as he was panning I guess he was slightly moving the ring. He changed his grip and now is much happier........

Bill

Jim Neiger
07-10-2011, 05:05 PM
How to actualy hold the lens depends on your body type. Those with long arms can generaly hold the lens body with the left hand and still get their elbows against their body for support. Those with shorter arms like me can't do this comfortably. I hold the lens foot (handle) with my left hand. This adds a couple of inches allowing me to get my elbows against my body. For waiting situations it helps to develop your acquistion skills and efficient shooting skills. I teach these and other skills and techniques during my workshops. Acquistion skill allows you to find and focus on the subject very quickly. Efficient shooting and fieldcraft skills allow you to anticipate the moment. If you wait in shooting position, you ar likely to wear out your arms and not get the shot.