PDA

View Full Version : Sweet dreams

Steve Kaluski
06-30-2011, 08:59 AM
Different location and family to Mum and the fishing cubs posted a while back. Taken mid morning, the cubs took time out from their heavy workload of playing and where Mum was teaching them life skills, the other cub is hidden BTW.

Morkel/Grant just picked up the 1.4 & 2x MKIII so will let you know my thoughts

Steve

Subject: Grizzly Bear (Ursus arctos horribilis) Grizzly bear sow with resting cub
Camera: Canon MKIII
Lens: 300f/2.8 - handheld & 1.4x
Exposure: 1/1250s at f4 ISO400 0 stop compensation
Crop: Cropped for presentation (original capture horizontal)

PS: Levels/Curves/H&S/small amount of USM

Ofer Levy
06-30-2011, 09:29 AM
I like this. Excellent shooting angle, sharp with awesome detail. Composition is nice although I feel a bit more room on the left could work nicely.

Steve Kaluski
06-30-2011, 09:34 AM
There is half as much again Ofer, if required. :w3

I am hoping the two new upgrade TCs will bring a bit more to the party, coupled with a new body when Canon gets it to me.:S3:

Cheers
Steve

Rachel Hollander
06-30-2011, 09:48 AM
Steve - sweet scene, well captured as usual. I agree with Ofer on a bit more room on the right. I know you don't clone for competitions but might consider cloning out some of the highlights on the head and ear.

TFS,
Rachel

Brendon Cremer
06-30-2011, 11:38 AM
I think it is stunning as is, works very well, nice colours and great detail:S3:

peter delaney
06-30-2011, 01:01 PM
A very cute moment captured...

the highlights are just a small part of the scene ,i really dont think they are such a big problem.

in two minds about the FRG , but I cant really see am alternative to what you have done...

Steve Canuel
06-30-2011, 11:55 PM
Nicely detailed as usual Steve and the pose of the cub couldn't be any better placed. Kind of strange to note but the look of the little mud hill in front is excellent. Texture looks dead on. Is the BG a grassy hill or bushes?

Steve Kaluski
07-01-2011, 01:50 AM
Thanks everyone.

in two minds about the FRG , but I cant really see am alternative to what you have done...

Nor can I Peter?:2 it has the low POV, although to achieve it I was lying in mud/fish & bear remains too. Could not stand, as this would be deemed as threatening behaviour to the sow, kneeling would be just as bad, both offering poor POV, but would have excluded perhaps most of the FG.

Is the BG a grassy hill or bushes?

Steve where I was lying was in a small inlet (overspill area), used when the river swelled, so you had a mud/grass bank behind, (about a 2.5ft drop) then a grass stretch with tress/shrubs further, back about another 800 yards.

cheers
Steve

Tom Redd
07-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Steve-
Beautiful moment well captured, sharp. The FG is only a distraction for a brief moment as the main subjects are so strong that you are drawn to them immediately. TFS

Charles Glatzer
07-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Steve,

Sweet image, indeed! I love the cubs posture on mom. And, that we can see eyes on both animals.

The 2X is worth the upgrade even without the new lenses as of yet.
Chas

Sagar Gosavi
07-01-2011, 01:52 PM
I just went through your Description about the situation when the picture is taken ... Thrilled :)
Sharp with fine details.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sagar Gosavi

Steve Kaluski
07-02-2011, 02:13 AM
Cheers Chas, just giving the 2x a good work out over the next week with the Little Owls so hopefully there should be noticeable improvements set against Canons increased costs :eek:

Still trying to get my workflow right on wet fur, not to look crunchy, if you know what I mean.

Cheers Sagar

Steve

Hilary Hann
07-02-2011, 02:46 AM
Love the facial expression on the sow's face, very nice posing of both animals.

Dumay de Boulle
07-02-2011, 06:04 AM
Lovely moment. Great comp and shooting angle. Great quality as always

Jamie Douglas
07-06-2011, 12:28 AM
Such excellent light and fur detail. Time for me to get back out to the Bears now I am back from vacation.

Harshad Barve
07-07-2011, 01:39 AM
Terrific image Steve , loved it
TFS