PDA

View Full Version : Grindstone Falls

Andrew McLachlan
06-29-2011, 09:32 PM
This is Grindstone Falls. It is also known as Waterdown Falls, Great Falls and Smokey Hollow Falls. Why can't waterfalls just have one name? I was here a couple of months ago and the flow was substantial - too misty to get this shot or survive trying too. As a result, I re-visited a couple of weeks ago when the flow subsided. I chose this crop due to white sky above the falls and viewing platform in upper right area. Cloned a few dead branches hanging down against the gorge wall in the upper left. This is another of the Niagara Escarpment waterfalls near Hamilton, Ontario.

While shooting here I could not get over the rotten stench I kept smelling periodically. As it turned out a dead white-tailed deer was among the rocks on the far bank. I presumed it got caught in the river, over went over the falls and drowned when the river was flowing so dangerously.

Nikon D200
Nikon 12-24mm lens @ 14mm (effective 21mm)
ISO 100
f22 @ 5 seconds
polarizing filter

Look forward to comments.

Andrew McLachlan
06-29-2011, 09:37 PM
OOPS! I posted the wrong image. here is the version I meant to post. Sorry folks! Well now you can see some of the additional tweaks I made :S3:

Roman Kurywczak
06-30-2011, 01:35 PM
Hey Andrew,
Hehehehe.....you got the tweaks I was going to suggest! Thanks for the explanation on why you didn't include the top.....wise choice there. Might just tone down the very edge of the top of hte falls....but I really like the flow of the water through the scene and the light is great too. Very nicely done!

Andrew Aveley
07-01-2011, 03:50 PM
I find the composition , colour and balance great. the smell doesn't really bother me :t3

John Ippolito
07-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Very nice in composition, water flow, and details. Repost rocks. Agree toning down the upper falls a smidge.

Andrew McLachlan
07-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Thanks guys for the comments, very much appreciated!