PDA

View Full Version : Loon gathering material.

Charles Glatzer
06-29-2011, 07:54 PM
Loons and more, MI
I guess you already know... I prefer images that illustrate behavior to static images.
This one is rather unique.. this loon pair had its nest predated only a few days away from hatching, with the pair again going through courtship rituals prior to mating. Here the female is gathering nest material in an attempt to get the male stimulated.
No nest was being built at this time.

I feel extremely fortunate over the past 7 years to be able to capture such a huge diversity of behaviorial images, including this years loons trying to eat a duck chick. It was pandemonium, but that is another post, :w3

1D Mark IV, 600mm
Manual, 1/800 @ f/8, ISO 800
Post-production- 15in MBP, LR3, CS5, NIK

See you where there is light, or at the computer

Chas

Randy Stout
06-29-2011, 08:22 PM
Chas:

I agree, a real treat to see their complex behvaviour in person.

Lovely colors, love the leaf on the bill, clean view of eye, good shooting angle.

Cheers

Randy

Joe Senzatimore
06-29-2011, 08:45 PM
Great Behavior captured beautifully. Low angle makes this another wonderful image from the "Loon Master".:bg3:

Jim Fenton
06-30-2011, 11:48 AM
This is a really cool loon image. Love the behavioral aspect.

The only thing I might have done differently would have been to crop it a bit tighter to the tail and give some more room on the right, assuming that you had room to give.

Daniel Cadieux
07-01-2011, 07:29 AM
Rather unique is right...I don't recall seeing a loon image with nesting material in the bill - just that alone makes the image for me. I like the low angle, and the comp is good as is. The reddish spot touching the head could be eliminated.

allanrube
07-01-2011, 10:59 AM
+ 1 to what others have said. I too have never seen a loon carrying nesting material. Good exposure of a tough subject.
The only nit is the green leaf(?) on the left.

Charles Glatzer
07-02-2011, 03:37 PM
+ 1 to what others have said. I too have never seen a loon carrying nesting material. Good exposure of a tough subject.
The only nit is the green leaf(?) on the left.

Alan,o my

Thanks! You are referring to a lilly pad, part and parcel to the environment in which the loon lives. I find it perplexing as to why so many strive for sterility in natural history images. I think we need to ask ourselves why we are taking natural history images and what it is we wish to illustrate with our images. For me it is about the story, as well as pretty subjects in good light. If I remove all the elements that depict the natural world the story becomes so much less. Offering the viewer an intimate glimpse into the life of my subject is paramount to my both my vision and purpose.

Do not get sucked into the vortex!

Warm Regards,

Chas

Nico Steenberg
07-03-2011, 11:30 AM
:eek: A super low angle and the DOF is a killer. Subject is sharp and well exposed. A super IMG !