PDA

View Full Version : Assassin Bug

Steve Maxson
06-29-2011, 12:06 PM
I finally stepped away from the aquarium - temporarily. :S3: I found this cooperative Assassin Bug (Zelus spp.) having an afternoon snack. A little lower perspective would have been nice, but I couldn't contort my body any lower. 5D II, MP-E 65 mm at 1X, 1/80, f/16, ISO 400, MT-24EX macro twin flash (diffused), hand held. I cleaned up some bits of debris on the leaf and removed some flash-generated spectral highlights (these guys have very reflective bodies). NR on the background. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Roman Kurywczak
06-29-2011, 02:07 PM
Hey Steve,
Good self assesment on angle.....but been in the too contorted position myself a few times when HH'ing.....so the angle works as is. I do wish the flies eye was visible.....or perhaps just lightening the head and the "stabber" (OK.....give me the real name) selectively. Just a few thoughts as this is very well done!

christopher galeski
06-30-2011, 02:04 AM
very nice image Steve,I think the angle is ok,and the captured fly make this for me.thanks.

bhavya joshi
06-30-2011, 09:34 AM
Nice moment captured.. Steve... with full antenna.. I Also agree with angle...overall nice Captured. :S3:

Daniel Cadieux
07-01-2011, 08:41 AM
Angle is OK with me, just wish you had room to scoot over to the left ever so slightly to clear the fly's eye. Excellent image though...I find myself quite captivated by it. Love the red eyes!!

Ken Childs
07-06-2011, 07:47 PM
I love the colors of this assassin!. I've seen some pretty colorful nymphs but the adults in this area are usually drab looking.

A lower angle would have certainly been nice but this one works as is. You need to work on your bug communication skills so you can explain to the next one that it needs to hold it's meal so you can see its eyes. :bg3: