PDA

View Full Version : Showy Lady's Slipper and a Moth.

Daniel Cadieux
06-29-2011, 11:30 AM
From last week's Purdon Conservation Area outing where 10,000+ of these wild orchids bloom every year from mid June to early July. A very pretty site (and sight!). Worth the visit for wild flower lovers. Lot's of good backgrounds to choose from, and sometimes you get lucky with an additional surprise...check out the moth relaxing underneath one of the petals :-)

Canon 7D + 100-400L @310mm, aperture priority, evaluative metering, 1/320s., f/7.1, ISO 800, 580 EX II flash @ -1.7 FEC, handheld, full-frame. Just a bit more DOF to cover the front flower's bulge needed...

Roman Kurywczak
06-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Hey Daniel,
You did very with the BG and the DOF looks pretty good. The light is fantastic. The lower leaf is a bit tight to the bloom......so keep a few spring loaded clothes pins in the bag or a plamp.......to help you move things if necessary and not do any harm. Useful little tools in the field. All in all.....a beutiful variety. I would probably prefer it w/o the visitor.....but this is still very well done!

Steve Maxson
06-29-2011, 06:54 PM
Hi Daniel. Beautiful flowers and this shows the color variation found in this species. The moth makes this image unique. Nice light and good sharpness, though as you mention, a bit more DOF would make it even better. I agree with Roman that a little more space between bloom and leaf would be nice, but it's not a deal breaker. Overall, this is very well done.

Anita Bower
06-30-2011, 04:35 AM
What a treat to see many Lady Slippers!!! Such exotic looking flowers. I think your assessment of this image is right on. Beautiful colors and composition. I would clone out the black spots on flower and leaves. I don't know if sharpening the front part of the flower would help or hinder. Another idea re. the leaf is to lighten to top part of it a bit. This image reminds me of hikes we used to go on in Massachusetts where we saw Lady Slippers.

Ken Childs
07-06-2011, 07:30 PM
Hey Daniel, this is a very cool looking flower and I definitely like the addition of the moth. The front flower looks a little soft but I can't really say if that is a DOF issue or if that is how the flower really looks. Whatever the reason, you might try a little selective sharpening on that area. I think I would have liked this one better without that lower leaf and the blade of grass? that is to the LR of the front flower....my eye keeps going to that sharp blade of grass.

Being a Lep geek, I really want to know what kind of moth that is! :bg3: