PDA

View Full Version : Kgalagadi Cheetah Kill

Rudi van den Heever
06-29-2011, 08:00 AM
We saw this cheetah chasing down a springbok in the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park near Gemsbokplein waterhole. Unfortunately it was almost directly into the sun, but I will take it everyday!:e3:bg3:

You can see the series on my website here. (http://www.linruphotography.com/portfolio194860.html)

Time and date taken: 09H50 on 13 May 2011
Equipment: Canon 7D and 500mm F4 lens
Settings: 1/1250s at f5.6, ISO 400, EV +2/3

Vivaldo Damilano
06-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Hey Rudi, you are so lucky WOW, second Cheetah kill in nine months:eek: I remember the one u got at Pilansberg... I would also take this:bg3::cheers:

Rachel Hollander
06-29-2011, 01:38 PM
Rudi - Great action. I think most would take that type of action any day.

TFS,
Rachel

Harshad Barve
06-29-2011, 08:35 PM
Excellent action well captured
TFS

Rudi van den Heever
06-30-2011, 03:28 AM
Thanks for viewing guys!:S3: It is not always about the technicals of the shot, but rather getting the shot!:bg3:

Tom Graham
06-30-2011, 03:54 AM
Sorry, I simply don't get it.
Tom

Rudi van den Heever
06-30-2011, 04:32 AM
You should try harder Tom!:bg3:

Morkel Erasmus
06-30-2011, 04:36 AM
Certainly a great sighting Rudi - you seem to attract these :w3:5.

I would take this anyday, great record shot...yet technically it does not sit up there, both in terms of IQ and direction of running :S3:. Harsh light is something most "cheetah kill" shots suffer from, as these guys (at least seems so in the Kgalagadi) tend to do their hunting when their natural enemies (read lions and leopards) are at rest in the heat of the day.

Sorry, I simply don't get it.
Tom

Tom - would you mind expanding on that comment...for Rudi's sake as well as the rest of us? I presume you mean you don't "get the image"...? :2

You should try harder Tom!:bg3:

Easy now, Rudi! :w3

peter delaney
06-30-2011, 08:25 AM
Thanks for viewing guys!:S3: It is not always about the technicals of the shot, but rather getting the shot!:bg3:

interesting comment... i have a feeling that if you had totally underexposed/overexposed the image , you may not have said the above...

its always a privilege to see a kill, we dont always get a chance to get the right angle etc as the action can happen so fast...

but its great to get a record of the kill no matter what and who knows next time , light and angle maybe on your side...but lets hope you have your technicals right:S3:

Rudi van den Heever
06-30-2011, 08:59 AM
I have been very lucky with two cheetah kills in the last few months Peter, but both not in ideal photographic conditions!:e3

And you are correct! I would have done many things differently if I had the time when I saw this kill, which would have included a higher ISO for more shutter speed and not a 2/3 overexposure - the camera was still set up for something I shot earlier (lesson learned)!!:e3

Sure, the technicals do matter and having everything 100% all the time is surely something I wish to accomplish one day (even whilst knowing that it isn ot possible) - Isn't that the challenge that makes us all go out there and something all photographers want to accomplish?:c3:

It is just not always possible, but will keep on trying! Posted this image to share the experience and maybe some advice on how to be prepared for this type of shot into the sun in the future - hence the exif data which everyone seems to have missed.:w3

Thanks for the comment Peter and watch this space for that technically perfect image!:w3:S3:

Tom Graham
06-30-2011, 11:44 AM
Sure Morkel.
Forget the title "cheetah kill". ( It is not kill, yet, but a chase). Forget that "hint", what about the image?
What do I see? I see a three legged antelope with a cheetah's head at its rump (pushed into the rump). Does the cheetah have a bite on it? Is that why the cheetah's body is so twisted? Or does the cheetah not have a bite but is twisting trying to get one? What is likely to happen in the next second? More chase or bring the antelope down? I don't have clue. That's what I don't get.
Tom

Rudi van den Heever
06-30-2011, 11:59 AM
The image sure made you thought a bit about what went on, what happened next and what was the end result!!! Mission acccomplished for me Tom...!!!:bg3:

Have a look at the end result of the chase at the link posted with the image...:w3

Tom Graham
06-30-2011, 01:20 PM
It was Morkel who made me think, to answer his question.
How about a photo of the kill?
Tom

Rudi van den Heever
06-30-2011, 02:27 PM
Like I've said when I posted the original image, the series can be viewed on my website at http://www.linruphotography.com/portfolio194860.html (http://www.linruphotography.com/portfolio194860.html)...:S3::bg3::c3:

Morkel Erasmus
06-30-2011, 04:44 PM
Rudi - I would like to see the first picture you posted in this last post here in the forum for some meaningful critique :t3

Steve Canuel
07-01-2011, 12:49 AM
Glad to see the cheetah made the kill as the broken leg would've led to its demise eventually if it had gotten away. Not technically perfect as you alluded to earlier in the thread but your picture still shows the fear in the springbok and the tenacity of the cheetah. I probably would've lowered my lens to watch :e3

Rudi van den Heever
07-01-2011, 05:17 AM
Yip, nature is cruel Steve and every know and then forces us to accept reality... and to respect it!

As a photographer I will find it very difficult not to try and get the shot and after all, then I can share the experience with others and hope that they will share the same appreciation and respect that I do!:w3

Have a great weekend!