PDA

View Full Version : Help...dark Blue Water??

Yves Matteau
03-28-2008, 12:00 PM
I took this picture this morning around 9:00 am. whith partly cloudy sky. All the picture of ducks over the water turned out dark blue even with the sky pale blue. How come? and what to do in these circonstances to get more natural colors??
By the way i know the photo is not that good, but i submit it to receive good advices from the pros of BPN.

Canon 40D
1/400
F/5.6
ISO 200
Sky partly cloudy

Alfred Forns
03-28-2008, 12:45 PM
Yves the color of the water is a function depth for the most part !!!

Did not mention the compensation used Looks like you were two under sunny 16 The image might be somewhat underexposed? Would lighten the bird a bit so the face shows better You got a great pose and head angle Would also suggest moving the duck more to the bottom and left !! Difficult to work from a jpeg but will re post so you can get an idea of the crop Did lighten the duck a tad

Sid Overbey
03-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Here is my shot at it. I applied a 20% blue filter, adjusted the levels to lighten, sharpened, and cropped.

Comments appreciated.
Sid

Yves Matteau
03-28-2008, 02:58 PM
Yves the color of the water is a function depth for the most part !!!

Did not mention the compensation used Looks like you were two under sunny 16 The image might be somewhat underexposed? Would lighten the bird a bit so the face shows better You got a great pose and head angle Would also suggest moving the duck more to the bottom and left !! Difficult to work from a jpeg but will re post so you can get an idea of the crop Did lighten the duck a tad

Alfred, i did`nt use any compensation at all.....Must mention that all the pictures i took of the ducks this morning had all blue dark "water". That is the thing i would like to understand and correct on my next photos.

Thanks for your help,

Yves

Harold Davis
03-28-2008, 05:17 PM
the blue water reflected onto the bird causing the blue cast on the bird. you can color balance it or use the blue filter like sid did to correct it.