PDA

View Full Version : Hocking Hills Ohio

Scott A. Flaherty
01-04-2008, 01:07 PM
http://www.clanoflaherty.com/externallink/SAF_20070325_084945PA.jpg
Copyright © 2007, Scott A. Flaherty. All Rights Reserved.
Use of this image without my expressed, written consent is strictly prohibited.

(Middle Falls, Hocking Hills, Ohio)
Nikon D200, Nikkor AF-S 12-24mm f/4, 1.3 secs, f/11, 12mm (EF 18mm), Manual Exposure / Multi Pattern Meter, ISO 100, WB Cloudy, CP

Usually there is not much water going over these falls, but I was lucky in that it had been raining off and on for the past several days prior to this shot.

Terry Eddington
01-04-2008, 01:14 PM
Scott, if you captured this in 2007 then you caught a great moment as the drought meant no "falls" for most of the year. Hocking Hills is certainly one of the most beautiful locations in Ohio and you've got nice color and composition. The contrast in this photo is very wide and it looks like you've got a little blowout on the splash. I'm just getting familiar with the concept of HDR but it would have helped lighten the dark areas and darken the bright areas without losing the beautiful color saturation. For a single exposure, this is very well done.

Robert Amoruso
01-04-2008, 02:23 PM
I don't have a lot to say to improve this image. I like the composition. I don't think the falls splash looks blowout. Nice contrast throughout. Falls shots are tough in a forest with the high contrast and you did a great job here.

HDR is a possibility. I used it for falls images this summer in TN. Here in Florida I don't have much opportunity to create these types of images.

Fabs Forns
01-05-2008, 12:24 AM
Big welcome, Scott!

Loved it in the thumbnail and love it open. I guess I'm a sucker for water in low shutter speeds...
The rock on the left foreground grabs my eyes and the soft cascade leads me into the forest, careful not to take e out of the picture.

Well done!

Jason Hahn
01-05-2008, 11:41 AM
The image just has so much depth. The use of the diagonal line of the falls and stream through the frame, and the soft light illuminating the trees in the background are excellent.

Jason