PDA

View Full Version : Now I'm Mad

Joe Senzatimore
06-28-2011, 07:02 AM
The Terns work very hard at defending their nests and chicks. This one was very upset that someone ,(not me ,a beach goer), stood at the edge of the colony and watched the birds. I tried to tell them that it was upsetting to the birds and that it would be better if they stayed low , but got a remark that is better left un - said. As my father used to say , "when your born stupid , it's for life".:2eyes2:

800 ISO f5.6 at 1/2500th
Inc. Metered

Karl Egressy
06-28-2011, 07:21 AM
"when your born stupid , it's for life".http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/images/smilies/2eyes2.gif

I love your father's saying :S3: and love the picture, Joe.

Ofer Levy
06-28-2011, 07:23 AM
Great pose and sharp. Looks a bit bright overall to me. Some of the white look a bit hot - especially on the cheek. I like the space at the bottom but would consider moving the bird a bit to the right.

Joe Senzatimore
06-28-2011, 07:27 AM
Great pose and sharp. Looks a bit bright overall to me. Some of the white look a bit hot - especially on the cheek. I like the space at the bottom but would consider moving the bird a bit to the right.

Thanks for your comments Ofer. I chose to present it this way as I feel the off center looks creates a less static feel. I guess it's a matter of taste.:5.

Bill Dix
06-28-2011, 08:07 AM
Nice one, Joe. At least the beachgoers' intrusion resulted in a good photo op. I personally like the comp just as presented. Some of the whites are definitely in the 250's.

Wynand van Wyk
06-28-2011, 09:06 AM
Great in flight captured. Lovely pose and detail. Ditto on whites. Very well done!:S3:

Jamie Douglas
06-28-2011, 10:14 AM
This guy does look upset but nice image though. When I went to the Farnes Isles last week you have to run the gauntlet to get to the Puffin colonies. There is a boarded walk that runs straight through an Artic Tern nesting site and I got pecked on the head a few times and they also go for your ears. Makes you wonder about the ethics of these tours when they run multiple trips daily through the nesting sites. The terns obviously dont get used to the human traffic or like it.

Joe Senzatimore
06-28-2011, 11:59 AM
This guy does look upset but nice image though. When I went to the Farnes Isles last week you have to run the gauntlet to get to the Puffin colonies. There is a boarded walk that runs straight through an Artic Tern nesting site and I got pecked on the head a few times and they also go for your ears. Makes you wonder about the ethics of these tours when they run multiple trips daily through the nesting sites. The terns obviously dont get used to the human traffic or like it.

I know what you mean. Where they nest here,is a public beach. The nest site is roped off , but the birds never get used to the people. I have never been pecked , but dived at alot ,and pooped on a few times. Once you get low , they seem to settle down. It's the people who stand that makes them aggresive.

denise ippolito
06-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Nice pose and capture Joe, Ofer makes some good points. I like the soft blue BG. :S3:

Herb Houghton
06-28-2011, 06:29 PM
I like the flight pose with open beak. I agree the whites look hot on the cheek. The BGD has a nice tone to it.